Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

school functions

Posted by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 10:41 AM
  • 10 Replies

My oldest son is going to be in a school concert and he desperately wants his father to be there. He desperately wants a father and craves his dad to be there but his dad doesn't want to be there. My son asked if he could call his dad and invite him and I told him it just doesn't seem like a good idea because I know for a fact he will say no. Did I handle this situation the right way? 

by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 10:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
orchardmoma
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 3:35 AM

Depending upon how old your son is, I would consider having him call his Dad. I may be wrong but I would never make excuses for a deadbeat Dad. I would be there to comfort  my son after the phone call though. Is this how his Dad always is? That's sad if he is

bottomline
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 9:17 AM
1 mom liked this

I think you should have let him invite his Dad. If Dad says no then it's on him, not you. You don't ever want to make decisions for someone who makes bad decisions. Let Dad make himself look bad. 

Some day your son will understand what's going on and why his Dad didn't make an effort. And your son will know you were there to support him and will appreciate you for it.

aj_mom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:53 AM

How old is your son?

Depending on his age I would have let him call if he wanted to. Do you really know for a fact that his dad would say no or is it just speculation?

witchybabymomma
by Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:47 AM

It's sad, but I think it's better to let him call and ask then he hears it directly from the person responsible. My sons father is as little involved as he can be and whenever he tells my son he is going to come and doesn't show my son will ask where he is and I just tell him I don't know and he will have to ask his dad why he didn't come

jprncess
by New Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 11:11 PM

I am not sure how old he is, but if he is a mature enough then he needs to make the call and needs to learn about what his dad is like. 

mskeeinmd
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:03 AM

I would say no.  I would have called your son's father first or sent a text, email, etc to let him know what's up and that his son really wants him to be there and then let your son call.  He should always be allowed to call him even if he says no.  

SWasson
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 7:03 PM

I think it depends on your son's age. At some time he will have to learn that it's not a matter of you keeping his father away from him, but of his father not being interested.

calsmom62
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 7:10 PM
yes let him. learn. or hopefully be surprised. don't stand in the way. and you cant protect him from what he might find out.

Quoting orchardmoma:

Depending upon how old your son is, I would consider having him call his Dad. I may be wrong but I would never make excuses for a deadbeat Dad. I would be there to comfort  my son after the phone call though. Is this how his Dad always is? That's sad if he is

Lindalou907
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Your son is in for a painful revelation, you can't protect him from it, just let him make the call. At least he has a loving and involved Mom.

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:44 PM
I think you should let your son call and ask his dad.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN