Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Need some advice

Posted by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 10:39 AM
  • 14 Replies
I have a daughter who is 8 she is into Disney Jr show princess Sofia . She also watches a few other cartoons on there...she plays with dolls as well, my problem is my husband thinks she to old to watch these shows because Disney JR. and I don't think she is to old. I think kids are growing to fast as it is. I want to encourage her to be a kid as long ad possible... she still believes in Santa.....what do you other moms think?
by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 10:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sunnysng
by New Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 10:43 AM
Let me clarify the Disney channel is geared for 2-6 years old and she still plays with her dolls and my husband thinks she getting to old to watch these shows and to old to get dolls
catevincesmom
by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 12:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I let my kids watch what they want-so long as I feel it's not inappropriate.  If she still wants to watch it, no biggie.  My dd's 8, & she still watches it on rare occasions.  Mostly when a new episode comes on, or if Jessie & some of the bigger kid shows aren't on yet. 

calsmom62
by Bronze Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 1:26 PM
this. she will move on when she is ready

Quoting catevincesmom:

I let my kids watch what they want-so long as I feel it's not inappropriate.  If she still wants to watch it, no biggie.  My dd's 8, & she still watches it on rare occasions.  Mostly when a new episode comes on, or if Jessie & some of the bigger kid shows aren't on yet. 

monkeymommy1
by Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 6:11 PM

She will grow out of it on her own. Don't rush her- they do grow way too fast without us making them grow up faster...

nuts4scouts
by Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Heck, I still watch kids programs!

What is wrong with an 8 year old playing with dolls? What is she supposed to be playing with?

At least playing with dolls requires her to use her imagination. Something that plopping in front of a video game does not!

Leave the girl alone, and let her enjoy what she enjoys, for as long as she is interested in it.

sunnysng
by New Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 10:29 PM
I don't think anything is wrong it I'm just wondering how many other 8 years old still watch Disney JR....my husband thinks she getting to old .....I don't want her to grow up to fast ....I played with dolls till I was 12.
mskeeinmd
by Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Disney Jr.  is a great channel.  My son is almost 6 and he loves it.  I think you're right about encouraging her to be a kid as long as possible.

Marz31
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 11:07 AM

It's geared towards the younger kids, but it doesn't mean that the messages the show conveys aren't pertinent to older kids as well! I can easily see my daughter wanting to watch the younger shows when she's 8. Let her be a kid, no harm in that!

Jantera
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 12:20 PM
Nothing wrong with that.. Would he prefer her to watch Miley Cyrus shaking her you no what.. Nothing wrong with you wanting your baby to stay a baby for a while..
zeesmuse
by Bronze Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 9:51 AM

When she feels 'too old' and develops other interests, she'll lose interest. Don't censor her watching because your husband thinks she's 'too old'...

I'll bet if you think hard enough, you can find some hobbies of his that are rather...childish.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN