Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Anxious and Confused

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:12 AM
  • 5 Replies

Hello all. I am new here and joined because I need some advice on my work situation. 

I accepted a lower paying job in a much smaller web developer company because it is closer to home and the hours are extremely flexible with option to work from home.  My boss and the staff are wonderful, and so I was happy...until problems started to arise.  You see a few months ago, we learned that the company has not been paying imcome tax to the IRS, and so money from the business account was levied a few times.  Due to this, we were asked to take a paycut for a few months - mine was about $12k or about $700 a month.  I agreed because it's still income and I really love the people at work.  The thing is, part of my job is to get on the road and seek new clients - with the current financial problems my employer is going through, he cannot pay for my own gas and mileage (on top of my paycut).

Here's what I recently decided to do:

1.  I started my own company and so far it has been doing ok.  The income is kept in the business account to cover expenses.

2.  I interviewed for a part time job (strictly working from home). 

3.  I'm not quitting my full time job because it's still money coming in, even though it's less. 

Here's what's bothering me - I feel so guilty for not really doing anyting at my full time job except send emails to business leads - it's the only way I can perfom my duties at no cost to me.  I know it is somewhat wrong to just collect a paycheck but I also feel it's so unfair that my employer expect me not to adjust my duties and suffer more financially.

Please let me know how I should make myself feel better.

Thank you!

Casey

by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Lindalou907
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Is the business you started in competition with your employer?

Casey1500
by New Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:06 PM

no, COMPLETELY different.  We're serving different client base.

Barbiedip
by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 4:12 PM

I would think that your employer would understand that since he doesn't pay you much that it'd be difficult for you to cover all travel expenses out of pocket. Personally I would have to try to avoid that part of the job too. You're doing what you can to keep yourself afloat and if your performance at work is unacceptable, I'm sure they'd tell you, and then you can explain why. I think you're doing everything you can.

mskeeinmd
by Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 9:27 AM

I wouldn't worry about it.  You have to do what is best for you and your family.  You took a paycut and you're still bleeding money.  I wouldn't worry about it unless you signed a non-compete agreement.  

BethWorthy
by New Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 8:25 AM
I understand your situation of feeling guilty, but I think you should not be. You are doing it for making the best your family can get. You opted for starting your own business to meet your expense, I do not find anything wrong in that.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN