Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Rheumatoid arthritis

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 3:46 PM
  • 10 Replies

Does any other momma have this?

What do you do to cope with the pain?

CafeMom Tickers

by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 3:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ladycnile
by New Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 5:18 PM

I do. severe RA. I see a rheumatologist, who has me on perscriptions. . . . that dont usually help 100%. but are MUCH better than going without. .. . are you seeing anyone? They also do routine bloodwork monthly to monitor me. 

EireLass
by Bronze Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 7:39 PM
My friend has it badly. But with her meds shes able to cintjnue working, etc. Her meds are injections she gives herself.... $4100/mo.
shereka6
by New Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Hi, everyone my name is Shereka Pierce and to answer your question does any other momma have this? I would have to say yes I was diagnosed with Systemic Lupus Erythematosus in August of 2003. The answer to the next question is what do I do to cope with the pain? I take the medicine that the doctor prescribe to me and I concentrate on taking care of my son and myself. The other thing that I do is get on my computer, read a book, magazine, and watch some TV.

Bonneata
by Bronze Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Don't stop moving. Best thing I have ever done for my arthritic hips and chronic back pain is swim. I do water arobics and yoga. Eat as healthy as possible and take your vitamins. I would also recommend ballet.

MorganTho
by Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 4:59 PM
Have you tried diet to help reduce inflammation? My mil has lupus and is beginning autoimmune paleo to see if it helps with her inflammation, and pain. Otherwise I totally suggest MJ
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 5:06 PM
My youngest son has a genetic disease that RA comes with. He's on a daily injection we've tried diet and acupuncture without results.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
karisma22
by Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 1:39 AM

For those of you who have been diagnosed with RA consider getting checked for Lyme's Disease.  It is often misdiagnosed as MS, RA or fibromyalga.  Most of the time you don't even know that you have been bitten by a tick.  They are only the size of a the tip of a pencil.

mcginnisc
by Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 6:20 AM

I was diagnosed at the age of 5 with JRA. I am now 38 and a long distance runner. :-)  I have refused to buckle under the disease. I did everything I was told growing up and then decided enough was enough and started running. Believe it or not, it helped me with the pain immensely. I don't recommend it for everyone, but it has worked for me. 

I use RICE to treat: rest, ice, compression, elevation.. I will take advil as well if necessary. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

ladycnile
by New Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Quoting Bonneata:

Don't stop moving. Best thing I have ever done for my arthritic hips and chronic back pain is swim. I do water arobics and yoga. Eat as healthy as possible and take your vitamins. I would also recommend ballet.

I too did notice that motion seems to kill the pain, but its obviously a catch 22 because it hurts to move. . . The key for me is I don't drive, and my city is super small. . . . so, if I walk the baby I can push up on the stroller to aleviate some pain from my back/ shoulders until it works itself out throughout the walk. The only time I can't walk to aleviate some pain is when its the knees (the constant popping and pain). . At that point I'm just about bed/ couch ridden, and then the baby and I read together. It's a hard thing to deal with, no joke, but the more you move, the less it hurts. Also, I do pilates when I can, it's no impact so it only strengthens the muscles without hurting the bones more. Best wishes to you. 

Bonneata
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 3:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you! I love the walks with my ds. As long as it isn't to cool out I do ok. 

Quoting ladycnile:

Quoting Bonneata:

I too did notice that motion seems to kill the pain, but its obviously a catch 22 because it hurts to move. . . The key for me is I don't drive, and my city is super small. . . . so, if I walk the baby I can push up on the stroller to aleviate some pain from my back/ shoulders until it works itself out throughout the walk. The only time I can't walk to aleviate some pain is when its the knees (the constant popping and pain). . At that point I'm just about bed/ couch ridden, and then the baby and I read together. It's a hard thing to deal with, no joke, but the more you move, the less it hurts. Also, I do pilates when I can, it's no impact so it only strengthens the muscles without hurting the bones more. Best wishes to you. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)