Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

My pockets aren't that deep!

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 3:56 PM
  • 12 Replies
1 mom liked this

School Pictures $20 += 1 5x7~1 8x10

Really... So I got the eye roll when I asked them not to take my daughters picture. I dressed her up for the class picture. But I opted out of her getting single pictures taken. Not only is it a waste of my money but it's a waste of the photographer time.

Vent over...

CafeMom Tickers

by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 3:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goldilocksbecky
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 7:16 PM

I agree, the prices are insane!  

Does your kid's school do a yearbook?  If so, be aware that they usually use the fall pictures as their yearbook photo.  If you don't let them take your child's photo then she will either be listed as "not pictured" or will have a camera shot from whatever teacher works on the yearbook.  They also sometimes use them for things like I or kid safe/identikid cards. I teach and they always make a big, fat, hairy deal about making sure that all staff members go down and get their picture made so they have a shot for the yearbook.  I go (by force) for the fall pictures, but refuse to sit for the spring ones.  Seriously, I don't need my picture taken twice a year, every year! Once a year is more than enough.  They take my picture and I just throw away the proof/order form.  

PKOERNER
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 10:13 AM
The pictures always suck anyway
I don't buy them either
PKOERNER
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 10:15 AM
Mine are only in elementary at this time. I let them take the picture so it will be in the yearbook but don't buy. They usually look awful

Quoting goldilocksbecky:

I agree, the prices are insane!  

Does your kid's school do a yearbook?  If so, be aware that they usually use the fall pictures as their yearbook photo.  If you don't let them take your child's photo then she will either be listed as "not pictured" or will have a camera shot from whatever teacher works on the yearbook.  They also sometimes use them for things like I or kid safe/identikid cards. I teach and they always make a big, fat, hairy deal about making sure that all staff members go down and get their picture made so they have a shot for the yearbook.  I go (by force) for the fall pictures, but refuse to sit for the spring ones.  Seriously, I don't need my picture taken twice a year, every year! Once a year is more than enough.  They take my picture and I just throw away the proof/order form.  

goldilocksbecky
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Do any of you have to deal with the crazy "pay at the camera" nonsense?  They started doing that here a few years back for fall pictures (but not for spring).  I hate it.  How am I supposed to know how many of the pictures I want when I don't know what they look like.  If they are bad, I only want a small one, for posterity.  If they are great, I'll want a lot to give to family. It's a total crapshoot.  I don't like paying for pictures I've not seen.

esox
by Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 10:24 AM
It takes two seconds and the photographer is already booked for the full day anyway. Let them take her individual picture for the year book (unless you have religious/personal views against it). But making the teachers and photographer remember that one kid out of 300 isn't supposed to get her picture taken is a lot more hassle than the 2 seconds it takes to take the picture.
Meg2011425
by Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 10:57 AM
I paid $20 for a digital CD with a signed release to go make my own copies. And $10 for his class picture. Prices are getting crazy!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amonkeymom
by Amy on Sep. 29, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Absolutely agree with you.  I'd rather just take them to a photo studio and get them done.

jaytee
by Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 2:17 PM
I never buy school pics. They are way too expensive!
calsmom62
by Bronze Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 9:04 PM
thats how ours are. if uou dont send miney the kid gets their pic taken but you dont get a packet. the pto was getting stuck with unpaid pics.

Quoting goldilocksbecky:

Do any of you have to deal with the crazy "pay at the camera" nonsense?  They started doing that here a few years back for fall pictures (but not for spring).  I hate it.  How am I supposed to know how many of the pictures I want when I don't know what they look like.  If they are bad, I only want a small one, for posterity.  If they are great, I'll want a lot to give to family. It's a total crapshoot.  I don't like paying for pictures I've not seen.

goldilocksbecky
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 9:18 PM
1 mom liked this

But there's no need for anybody to get stuck with unpaid pictures.  All they have to do is send home an order form with a proof on it.  People can actually see the picture before they order, but a packet isn't made or sent unless they order and pay.

We used to do the "send home a packet with everyone and pray that people will send in money for them" nonsense for spring pictures.  That s the biggest pain in the neck ever!!! We teachers finally staged a small riot over it because at the end of the year when we already have 9000 things on our plate the last thing we need to deal with is hounding parents over picture money (reminder notes, phone calls, etc.). And furthermore, the fact that they can make up a fancy packet of pictures to send home with ever kid, knowing that well over half of them will be returned (and end up trashed by the company) tells you that pictures aren't THAT expensive to make.  They could lower their prices, have a higher percentage of parents buying (or people buying bigger packages) and still make the same profit.  When they cost an arm and a leg nobody can afford them.

Quoting calsmom62:

thats how ours are. if uou dont send miney the kid gets their pic taken but you dont get a packet. the pto was getting stuck with unpaid pics.

Quoting goldilocksbecky:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)