Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

piog fur baby related- need help with my gsd

Posted by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 9:40 AM
  • 1 Replies

i have 2 gsd. dante rescued me at 4 months old when i went looking for a pup to adopt that was 9yrs ago. hes very easy going laid back kind of a dog. dawn is around 2 she hass puppy ocd and never ever sits still. shes very ball drivin to. i rescued her back in june from a busy road and no one claimed her so now shes mine.just a little back ground on them. i have a dilemma with dawn...when we go out shopping and its nice out we put dante and dawn on their chains. now the way we have it set up the dogs are close together being we only have a makeshift dog lean to for shelter.(dogs only go out if there is no chance of rain and its super nice out) its big enough for both of them to lay under and it has a over hang on the out side so if they want to be separated they can be. our dilemma if when we get home dawn becomes super dominate toward dante on the chain. shes gets on top of his back and growls and snarls at him, of course dante just stands their and lowers his head doesn't move and barks and growls back at her. usually i just have to yell at them to knock it off and they stop. well yesterday was different. we came back from a soccer tournament and before we could get out of the car dawn was already on top of dante.i yelled like normal, but neither on paid mind to me and they where getting nasty towards one another. i thought for sure i was going to be making a trip to the vets with one or both of them. i wound up pulling dawn off by her leash and booting dante so he would get away from us.(not proud of this, but i have 3 terrified kids watching this go down) so in my eyes dawn was the aggressor so i made her lay down flat. by this point shes knows she has done wrong and is being submissive and thumping her tail. i made her lay there till she was calm, then i called dante over and made him lay next to her. the both growled at one another and this time when i yelled they both stopped it. i made them lay next to one another till the energy returned to calmness. i think in total it was like 10 minutes from start to finish, it felt like a eternity to me. now off chain and in the house i don't have a problem at all with these two unless we are rough housing then dawn again attacks dante. they even eat next to one another. so i'm scratching my head as to way they are like this on the chain and when we are rough housing.my husband wants me to re home dawn, but i can't shes part of the family now. i just need a way to make them get a long or come up with a punishment that will stick. building a separate lean to isn't a option right now money is to tight and keeping one dog in and the other out doesn't seem fair. has anyone gone through this before? and does anyone have suggestions to get them over this hump?

by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 9:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
EireLass
by Silver Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 2:54 PM
They have typical cage agression, except with a chain. Don't force them to be friends.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN