Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

teens and visitation?

Posted by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 1:14 PM
  • 9 Replies

Do you think when your child becomes a teen they should have a say in visitation or do you think visitation should be encouraged until the child is 18? 

by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 1:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Texascandee
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 3:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Just wondering why you have so many posts on this topic? Can you not ask your questions in one post?

CampClan
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 6:49 PM

IMO it really depends on what all the teen is involved in at the time. My 17yo DS is a soccer player on the high school varisty team. He is also involved in several Bible study groups throughout the week. He has a GF right now & hopefully a job soon. I am not forcing him to go visit his dad because he is so busy. Now when I know his dad is off & wants the kids & I know for a fact DS does not have plans I do mention to him it would be nice if he goes & spends time with his dad.

As for my 14yo DD she has no say yet. She is not involved in anything other than school & ONE youth group that meets on Sunday evenings (other than the usual Sunday mornings which ex knows we always go to church so there is never an agrument there).

CMay2CK
by Cheryl on Oct. 11, 2013 at 1:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Teenages should have a say.  That said, having a say does not mean that is what happens.  Truly depends on each individual situation.  There is no blanket answer.  

karisma22
by Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 1:49 PM

It depends on the situation.  

darcibeisheim
by Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 2:11 PM
No matter what they are involved in visitation should be encouraged. Both parents and the teen need to develop a plan to work everything in.
awinters0716
by New Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 2:18 PM
1 mom liked this
I think they should have a say I know my son would be happier if he had one
Caitlin10081989
by Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 2:03 AM

Yes, they should have a say in visitation but visitation should be encouraged until the child is eighteen or moves out on their own. 

momof4loves4
by New Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:01 PM
Have you tried asking a lawyer or a judge? I personally believe they should get a choice but I do not know the legal answer
massenburg
by Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Sounds like you got it all figured out. So whats the problem ?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)