Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

breastfeeding pro's, I need your help!

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:28 AM
  • 12 Replies
My newborn has been breastfeeding for 8 days. I had been using a nipple shield the first few days, ouch, but we finally got rid if that thing. Everything was going well, but now one nipple is killing me! The other is sensitive when he first latches, but then it feels fine. But man the other one brings me to tears the whole time he feeds. I slather medela cream on it. He latches just like the other side...what can I do to help my poor nipple? :-(
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amonkeymom
by Amy on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:53 PM
1 mom liked this

The first couple of weeks can really be murder on your nipples!  

Keep putting on the lanolin cream, maybe use an icepack between feedings to help with the inflamation.

You also might want to check out the Breastfeeding Moms group.

sarasue719
by Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh duh I didn't think about that group! Thanks! :-)
Sun5hine
by New Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 5:21 PM
2 moms liked this

I've always had sore nipples for the first few weeks until we get the hang of things.  I have a couple suggestions from past experience:

-avoid using too much cream, it can make things slippery and the baby doesn't latch as well, causing more soreness!

-try giving your nipples a warm saltwater bath after each feeding, it promotes healing.

-focus on a good latch at each feeding.  Read about latching, watch videos, pull the baby off and relatch if necisary,

Just my two cents that helped me a lot!   Good luck!  I healed up in a few days.  You don't know dedication untill you've bf through sore cracked nipples.  OUCH!

calsmom62
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:21 PM
1 mom liked this
i remember trying not to shriek and scare the baby when they latched and it hurt so badly i used lanolin and trued the nipple shueld. tried the football hold. anything to get me over the painful period
venessaw04
by New Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 11:35 AM

It was painful for me for almost a month. but soon enough your nipples will toughen up.  make sure that your nipples are completly dry berfore covering them back up.  or the moisture just keeps feeding the cut.  Make sure the latch is good, you may want to try different feeding positions.  Just stick it out if you can it is worth it!

CMay2CK
by Cheryl on Oct. 11, 2013 at 12:30 PM

It's probably too early, but make sure he doesn't have Thrush.  My son had it once and one of my nipples hurt like *&#@ when he breastfed.  

witchybabymomma
by Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Not sure nipple shields were a blessing for me. I had severe pain especially during the first part where he was latching on as well, but after using the shiled for several weeks my nipples healed up and were not sore anymore.

sarasue719
by Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Thanks ladies! I'm slowly feeling better!

I've had to cut back on the lanolin, he doesn't seem to latch well with that stuff and we both end up frustrated. =/ Just have to tough it out! lol

nicole2884
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Switch up how you hold him during feedings I was using dangle position to much an my nipples were killing me but after switching it up they felt better
sarasue719
by Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 12:41 AM
What is the dangle? I change between regular hold and football.

Quoting nicole2884:

Switch up how you hold him during feedings I was using dangle position to much an my nipples were killing me but after switching it up they felt better

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN