Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Are you like your mom?

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 12:13 PM
Amy
  • 30 Replies

Do you find yourself saying or doing the same things your mom did/said when you were growing up?

Lately I've found myself telling my son "Because I said so" when he asks "WHY?"  Any other explanation just doesn't seem to fly with him.

by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 12:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CMay2CK
by Cheryl on Oct. 11, 2013 at 12:27 PM
4 moms liked this

Yep!  A bunch of the stuff I tell my kids now is straight from my mom.  I even laugh just like her.  I did not realize that until recently (and I'm 41!).  I know I used to say "I'll never say/do that to my kids...." but as a parent now, I'm proud to be like my mom.  She raised three great kids.  I hope to do the same. 

The phrase I HATED the most came from my dad.  "but I've looked everywhere!"  Then he would say "No you haven't, because you haven't looked wherever it is."  That one drove me nuts as a kid.  And yep, I find myself saying that to my kids every now and again.  Ce la vi.  LOL

luvmybug
by Amanda on Oct. 11, 2013 at 12:30 PM
I am not like my mom at all.
amonkeymom
by Amy on Oct. 11, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Hahahaha!  I have totally said your dad's phrase more than a time or two.  

Quoting CMay2CK:

Yep!  A bunch of the stuff I tell my kids now is straight from my mom.  I even laugh just like her.  I did not realize that until recently (and I'm 41!).  I know I used to say "I'll never say/do that to my kids...." but as a parent now, I'm proud to be like my mom.  She raised three great kids.  I hope to do the same. 

The phrase I HATED the most came from my dad.  "but I've looked everywhere!"  Then he would say "No you haven't, because you haven't looked wherever it is."  That one drove me nuts as a kid.  And yep, I find myself saying that to my kids every now and again.  Ce la vi.  LOL

jujubear1
by Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 3:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I try not to be. When I catch myself getting close, I get it in check quick. I am more like my dad and I'm good with that.
Txlisa7969
by New Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 3:33 PM
2 moms liked this

Yes, very much so.  When people or family tell me I look, sound, act, etc. like her I always tell them "Thank you!"  I was very lucky to be blessed with an awesome Mom.  My Mom wasn't perfect, none of us are, but she always did her best to be the best Mother to my brother and I.  She was also my best friend up until she passed away 7yrs ago. 

kLynch315
by Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 3:36 PM
1 mom liked this
:( Sorry to hear that. Sounds like she was a wonderful person.

Quoting Txlisa7969:

Yes, very much so.  When people or family tell me I look, sound, act, etc. like her I always tell them "Thank you!"  I was very lucky to be blessed with an awesome Mom.  My Mom wasn't perfect, none of us are, but she always did her best to be the best Mother to my brother and I.  She was also my best friend up until she passed away 7yrs ago. 

calsmom62
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 8:28 PM
dh will say. yes. my wife sounds like her mom sometimes. and he doesnt mean it as a compliment. he of course is also a mirror of his parents at times too so I guess we are even.
thatgirl70
by Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Every parent says that. 

I'm nothing like my mom (other than my looks), thankfully. 

HiDi
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Yes ,both parents;in, responses to 'day-in-and-day-out' living !

Mummy2Connor
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Yup

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)