Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are children born...

Posted by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 11:30 AM
Amy
  • 14 Replies

inherently good or bad?

This was a question that was asked on the radio morning show I listen to this morning.  What do you think? Why?

by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 11:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
calsmom62
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 1:36 PM
3 moms liked this
i think we all come chock full of possibilities.
gr8d8n3mom
by Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 1:45 PM

It's a hard question to answer, because it's been scientifically proven environment a child has grown up in determines whether a child is good or bad/or grows up that way.

As for inherently I do believe ppl are born with out having a conscious. Therefore if they can not feel bad for things they do, it makes them a bad person.

just1kasz
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 9:24 AM

We are all born inherently good.  With infinite possibilities for goodness.  But we are also born "Untrained", training makes a big difference in whether that goodness is nurtured or not.  Without proper training people act on impulsive whims and feed their physical and ego needs, without regard for others or even without regard for their own good.

Kasz

https://www.facebook.com/TreeOfLifeWisdom

kLynch315
by Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 9:27 AM
Ditto. This is what most psychologists/theorists say as well.

Quoting just1kasz:

We are all born inherently good.  With infinite possibilities for goodness.  But we are also born "Untrained", training makes a big difference in whether that goodness is nurtured or not.  Without proper training people act on impulsive whims and feed their physical and ego needs, without regard for others or even without regard for their own good.

Kasz

artistmom889
by Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 5:46 AM

I think children are born with potential to follow either path and that they learn much from their environment.

MommeeTo4
by Smart Mouth McGee on Nov. 1, 2013 at 11:13 PM
Good how we live shapes what we may become
luvbooks
by Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 2:35 AM

From what I've read, environment has a huge part in the outcome of a person's character.  Potential bad actors have been turned around upon exposure to better expectations.

But very bad people have come from excellent environments and very good people have come from terrible environments.

Sociopaths and psychopaths have come from both.  I think that people have just got to provide the very best they can for their kids and hope for the best.  For the most part they will get it.

Quoting amonkeymom:

inherently good or bad?

This was a question that was askedon the radio morning show I listen to this morning.  What do you think? Why?

Momofmenagerie
by Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 3:57 AM
I feel they are a blank slate... Neutral.

I believe in nurture over nature, if nurture catches and leads away from a child's experimentation with the poor choices early.

Sometimes there are children brought up with family values and such who still end up stuck in paying for poor choices.

But children are born a blank slate in my opinion.
aj_mom
by Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 5:13 PM

I think that is the whole NATURE v. NURTURE

missmeli77
by New Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Mobile Photo

I believe we all make the choice wether we choose to be good or bad...... Just because you were raised in a bad enviroment does not make u bad..... I am living proof of that.....
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)