Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Puppies??

Posted by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 12:22 PM
  • 14 Replies

Hello! So this is mainly for pet parents who really know their stuff. We got a husky/great Pyrenees mix puppy in July and got a girl because we want puppies later on. We plan on keeping them all! We just want one litter and then to get her fixed. When I told the vet this she looked shocked! She said it's not smart to not get a female fixed because it can cause all kinds of problems. This kind of didn't make much sense to me considering dogs have puppies everyday but then again this woman has a few degrees and I just got my first dog in July. So what do you ladies think? We really would like puppies one day and right now she's not exposed to other dogs so it wont happen for a while...I am clueless and plan on doing research later on but wanted to see what you ladies think first.

by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 12:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EireLass
by Bronze Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 7:54 PM
We don't nueter our pets. Too many health issues arise due to spay/nueter. But we don't breed, and our pets will not have an opportunity to reproduce.
I have 3 large dogs. I can't imagine having more.
esox
by Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Both of my females are spayed and neithe one of them have had issues. One is going blind but that is due to collie eye anomoly. Not being fixed. 

Tell the vet to give Bob Barker a call. 

Lindalou907
by Bronze Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 11:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Hmm, I never had a problem with a spayed dog, that doesn't sound right, with all the unwanted dogs in the world we should all spay and neuter and personally I don't think your dog should be even having one litter.

MusherMaggie
by Bronze Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 12:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Spaying and neutering doesn't necessarily prevent all the health problems that some vets say it does. Our girls are all intact, well contained so as not to have the opportunity to reproduce. Do some research before spaying. There is a Dr. Becker you can look up who is a holistic vet.
LiLsMaMa21
by Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this

She told me it's not smart to NOT get her fixed. Not to get her fixed. But we want her to have a litter because we would keep them. So it's not like the puppies would end up anywhere else. And if we ALL fixed our dogs, there would be no more left...

Quoting Lindalou907:

Hmm, I never had a problem with a spayed dog, that doesn't sound right, with all the unwanted dogs in the world we should all spay and neuter and personally I don't think your dog should be even having one litter.

Lindalou907
by Bronze Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Oh, I see. Well, what if she has a big litter? That's a lot of dogs, and they will all have to be fixed, it will get expensive to keep them all, when you could just go to the shelter and save some puppy's life.

Quoting LiLsMaMa21:

She told me it's not smart to NOT get her fixed. Not to get her fixed. But we want her to have a litter because we would keep them. So it's not like the puppies would end up anywhere else. And if we ALL fixed our dogs, there would be no more left...

Quoting Lindalou907:

EarlGrayHot
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 4:25 PM

No.  The health issues arise from NOT spaying or neutering.  Cancer is one issue in pets not spayed or neutered not to mention the danger of birthing or that they tend to roam which exposed them to getting hit by cars or fighting with other animals.  Responsible pet owners ALWAYS spay or neuter unless you are breeding purebreds for show.  You could get some great puppies at the snimal shelter that will eb put down if they don't find a home instead of bringing yet more puppies into a world that has too many already.  There is no danger in spaying or neutering as long as you have a competent vet; it's not fixing them that's the danger.  Listen to your vet.

Acid
by Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Do not make the dog have puppies.

It's a huge task money wise, energy wise and so on.

More and more people are talking about waiting until the dog is fully grown, at about 18 months, before having them fixed.

Having her spayed prevents cancer, pyrometrea, and a host of other things.

Having puppies means money for an emergency Csection if needed, if she dies you'll need to feed the pups, if something happens during the labour you will need to help her, puppies need care should the female not want to care for them or if she can't care for them.

There are far more cons to making her have a litter than there are pros.

Acid
by Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 4:49 PM

She is a big dog, who could potentially have 12 or more puppies.  Do you seriously have the room for 14 dogs?

Larger dogs have larger litters. 

If people fixed their dogs, and left the breeding of dogs up to people who don't have to rely on a room full of strangers for opinions, then there would be no more dogs killed in shelters on a daily basis, there would be no more dogs left to languish in backyards, ignored and neglected because no one has time for them anymore, there would be no more dogs left to wander backroads and scavenge for food.

You're going to do whatever you want to do.  I wonder how long it will be before we have to read a post that says 'my dog is in labour, I think a puppy is stuck and the dog is going to die'  or,  'I have fourteen dogs and I need to move and I can't take my dogs with me so they have to go to a shelter'.

Go to a shelter on the days they kill the dogs...and then come back and say you still feel it's okay to breed your mixed bred dog.

Quoting LiLsMaMa21:

Quoting Lindalou907:

Only when the last tree has been cut down,
Only when the last river has been poisoned,
Only when the last fish has been caught,
Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten.

— Cree Indian Prophecy

EireLass
by Bronze Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 4:57 PM
Responsible pet owners do not always spay/nueter. And we also don't run the risk of unexpected litters. Most sporting and working dogs can't compete if they've been nuetered.

Quoting EarlGrayHot:

No.  The health issues arise from NOT spaying or neutering.  Cancer is one issue in pets not spayed or neutered not to mention the danger of birthing or that they tend to roam which exposed them to getting hit by cars or fighting with other animals.  Responsible pet owners ALWAYS spay or neuter unless you are breeding purebreds for show.  You could get some great puppies at the snimal shelter that will eb put down if they don't find a home instead of bringing yet more puppies into a world that has too many already.  There is no danger in spaying or neutering as long as you have a competent vet; it's not fixing them that's the danger.  Listen to your vet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)