Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Whats wrong with Public Schools these days!

Posted by   + Show Post

I am so afriad of sending my children to public schools. The public school system in this country is slowly getting worse and worse, and kids really are not learning anything anymore. They just learn the basics, they really dont learn the real in depth stuff like they should be learning. They should be learning about EVERYTHING, and what not to repeat in history, and what to look for, but I am seeing kids for history class coloring maps, and that is all they do is color maps! MAPS!! What kind of history is that, coloring a freaking map.

I also read on here that they are no longer teaching cursive. WHY!! Our kids should learn how to write in cursive, just like they should know their ABC's.

Then you see kids on the Free Lunch Program, all the while their parents are collecting 300-1000 dollars in food stamps, WHY... They are already getting free food from the government, why are they getting even more free food from the government. Isnt that considered double dipping.

And now a days, public schools label kids. Public schools are like factories and they know the percentage of kids that will be successful, the kids that will drop out, the kids that will end up in blue collar jobs, and the ones that will end up working at McDonalds, and they focus more on the kids they BELIEVE will do successful, and throw away the kids they think will fail. I mean with this mentality no kids will be set up for success.On top of that a majority public schools do nothing to help with bullying, and usually play favorites and the bully gets away with it and the victim gets blamed!

Finally the teachers unions are running wild with your TAX DOLLARS... All the while they are keeping BAD teachers. Teachers with low test scores, those commited of crimes, etc. All the while you are paying these horrible teachers and funding their protection with YOUR TAX DOLLARS!!

Any one else see something wrong here with the failed public school system and how our government has failed us, or is it just me!?

by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 11:53 PM
Replies (11-20):
jen2150
by New Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 9:00 AM
There are so many things wrong with public schools. Some teachers and parents just make up for some of the things they are lacking. History textbooks are a joke. They are filled with so many errors. I think the federal government should have no say in public education. It should be managed by parents, teachers, and local government. We also need to do away with compulsary education. Private schools are a little better. Some of them are good but not all of them. I homeschool my children so they can have the best possible education.
jprncess
by New Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 10:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Your schools must really suck. And it is funny you sound as though you just came to know the school system, everything you mentioned has been going on since I was in school 25 years ago. Students have always been labeled. I think that the labeling is better now than it was before. My school system strives to find out what it is that the student is going to do and cater to their needs. Let's face it, all kids aren't meant to go to college so what is the skill set for that child. Why direct them to college prep classes if they are C students because they dislike school and/or reading and they favor automotive work? Set them up to go the route that they will suceed. If Johnny and Sally are labeled as drop outs, why are they more likely to drop out? Parents, finances, constant moving. What can be done so that they can at least graduate from college. 

Not to mention that history classes have been full of stories that are half truths. I am pretty sure that the games that parents allow kids to play now that teachers could be pretty blunt with our history though. The federal government doesn't write, publish, or purchase our books. 

I think that someone has had a bad experience with their schools.

celexea
by New Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 5:16 AM
You are speaking the truth. I agree with you 110%
It really is sad
Saurusmom8
by Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 3:06 AM
5 moms liked this
I see some of this in part. My son is a great student and probably doesn't get all this gloating attention by teachers.. but then again, he is invested in at home.

I see issues in Private education as well. Its across the board.

Not all public schools are filled with bad teachers though.

I agree our school system has gone downhill.. but then again so has our society and that filters into everything. Children are generally pushed to the back burner when it comes to our government.

As far as children eating free meals. I gladly fork over my money to feed a child. The end. There are many schools denying kids food for inability to pay.. that should never happen. The reason I pay taxes is for kids to eat, kids to have schools and have healthcare and truly it makes me sad to see its not always getting there.

Raising children is a partnership and teamed effort on everyone who comes across the prresence of a child. The parents, the teachers, careproviders, physicians, crossing guards..

The problem ends when kids see people who genuinely care more about them and not who's flipping the bill.

In my home every kid gets fed.. every kid will get loved. I never will complain about free lunches because that's what we should want to pay money to.. who cares.. I think every kid should get free lunches. Its our government and their mispending.. I detest money being spent on high cost oil companies and more scandal coverup.. but as far as the food and shelter and clothing for a child? Tax me. I will pay for that.

My soap box.
Saurusmom8
by Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 3:10 AM
Once I stop worrying about my money and just love and become better..I find I am more prodcutive and kids get a better adult to care for them. The problems will never go away at a political level because politicians have an agenda.. and what that is we never can tell because of all the commotion.. so the only thing I can control is me.

Buy your kid a book on world history and go to Native American Tribal dances with your kid.. be that parent. Is it hard? Yes. Is it worth it? Yes.

Saurusmom8
by Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 3:14 AM
P.s its not that I am burying my head in the sand here.. or trying to be the idealist.. trust me, I do have my complaints. I do see where our system has failed our kids, parents, education, protection.. its eroding. Our society is literally crumbling.

I do believe in stricter laws to ensure that someone is legally able to receive help.. but all kids should be exempt.

I could write a novel on my views on government spending. For now, I need to be what I wish our leaders would be for us. Its an all together alone society. Its sad.
EarlGrayHot
by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 1:34 PM

The teachers' unions are NOT responsible for kids not learning.  Stop listening to that nonsense.  And again-you're falling prey to the extremist conservative viewpoint which is not based on facts.  Teachers are not responsible for failing public schools.  Now, I would agree that I think kids ahould still learn cursive and bullying should be stopped wherever it rears its ugly head but all schools are not the terrible places you claim.  Parents are very much responsible for how their kids act and bullying, just like racism, begins at home.

leeshuh
by Member on Nov. 27, 2013 at 10:58 AM

I completely agree.

Quoting Liastele:

How old is your child? I think you have it backwards. If a child is average or gifted, they are ignored because the school focuses on bringing the difficult children up to average so they can show better testing scores. It's all about testing. If you are smart, you are ignored.

PooBearr
by on Nov. 28, 2013 at 8:01 AM
Did you know the kids that are more beautiful or physically appealing get more attention right from the start, which most of the time makes the more beautiful girls and more handsome men SMARTER because they get more attention which then helps them later get a really good job because they're smart AND attractive? Anyway, I'm a junior. Public schools are shitty and I haven't learned A SINGLE THING the whole TWO YEARS I've been going to Toledo Public Schools. With my DD I hope to do some homeschooling and some like church/Christian school or Catholic if it really comes down to it. I dislike the disrespect, bisexuality, peer pressure, weed in school, etc. The lack of effort rubs off on other kids and then drags them ALL down to failure. Nope, she can go to school public like the rest up until like 6th grade when girls start losing their freakin' virginity, then she's going to a GOOD locked-down school lol.
PooBearr
by on Nov. 28, 2013 at 8:03 AM

I agree that teachers aren't ALWAYS responsible. I have this really crappy lazy teacher that never does anything but play videos and give us notes while he talks, texts, and sips his coffee. He's even left the class for an entire period because he told us, "I need to poop. Bye." and just left. However I have also seen some really good teachers who WANT to help us but can't because there's bad kids in class and they aren't allowed to yell at them or "hurt their feelings" or "point them out". All they can do is send them out AFTER REPEATED WARNINGS. After the 1st time they should be allowed to send them out. So not ALWAYS teachers' unions but sometimes maybe. Everybody is a little at fault.

Quoting EarlGrayHot:

The teachers' unions are NOT responsible for kids not learning.  Stop listening to that nonsense.  And again-you're falling prey to the extremist conservative viewpoint which is not based on facts.  Teachers are not responsible for failing public schools.  Now, I would agree that I think kids ahould still learn cursive and bullying should be stopped wherever it rears its ugly head but all schools are not the terrible places you claim.  Parents are very much responsible for how their kids act and bullying, just like racism, begins at home.

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)