Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Whats wrong with Public Schools these days!

Posted by   + Show Post

I am so afriad of sending my children to public schools. The public school system in this country is slowly getting worse and worse, and kids really are not learning anything anymore. They just learn the basics, they really dont learn the real in depth stuff like they should be learning. They should be learning about EVERYTHING, and what not to repeat in history, and what to look for, but I am seeing kids for history class coloring maps, and that is all they do is color maps! MAPS!! What kind of history is that, coloring a freaking map.

I also read on here that they are no longer teaching cursive. WHY!! Our kids should learn how to write in cursive, just like they should know their ABC's.

Then you see kids on the Free Lunch Program, all the while their parents are collecting 300-1000 dollars in food stamps, WHY... They are already getting free food from the government, why are they getting even more free food from the government. Isnt that considered double dipping.

And now a days, public schools label kids. Public schools are like factories and they know the percentage of kids that will be successful, the kids that will drop out, the kids that will end up in blue collar jobs, and the ones that will end up working at McDonalds, and they focus more on the kids they BELIEVE will do successful, and throw away the kids they think will fail. I mean with this mentality no kids will be set up for success.On top of that a majority public schools do nothing to help with bullying, and usually play favorites and the bully gets away with it and the victim gets blamed!

Finally the teachers unions are running wild with your TAX DOLLARS... All the while they are keeping BAD teachers. Teachers with low test scores, those commited of crimes, etc. All the while you are paying these horrible teachers and funding their protection with YOUR TAX DOLLARS!!

Any one else see something wrong here with the failed public school system and how our government has failed us, or is it just me!?

by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 11:53 PM
Replies (21-30):
artistmom889
by Member on Nov. 28, 2013 at 6:28 PM

I  know there are a lot of public schools that are not great, but I think there is some stereotyping going on. I am pretty much pleased with my daughter's school. If anything,I think her teachers try too hard..

Many of the problems I see could be greatly helped by more parents being involved. with their children's education.

Bonneata
by Bronze Member on Nov. 30, 2013 at 2:29 PM

I understand what your sayin but I disagree almost completely on what you said about teachers. In a lot of states they have raised the bar so high for " highly qualified teacher" that would be amazing teachers are not even wasting there time to get a licsense. I don't know where you live but a teacher convicted of a crime = fired. Then to top it all off we have become so obsessed with test scores actual learning is not happening. 

Meissilly
by on Apr. 8, 2014 at 10:38 AM

teachers unions running wild??? when is the last time you knew a teacher that got a raise. What good teacher does not spend their own money and their own time on on your children ?? If you have a problem with your school then get involved , get on the the PTO the school assessment team , talk to the principle and the board , Volunteer in the school in the classroom. Find out what it s really going on .

VOTE! Your welcome to use my tax $$ and home school .

OR you can pay for a private school I am sure you will love that so much more ... (sarcasm )

what in Depth thing do you want your child to learn ?? There are so many programs most school offer to help these children that are behind its almost silly . If your child needs help and your school does not offer the help find one that does !

flowerfunleah
by Leah on Apr. 8, 2014 at 10:54 AM
2 moms liked this

I was with you until you started bashing on people who get food stamps. Seriously, people on food stamps have nothing to do with your post about public schools, lay off. 

Second, our public schools are a reflection of our government's manipulations. Conspiracy theory? Suuuure, but no conspiracy theory is without even the basic base of truth. The American government (as far as I've observed) want things to continue running the direction they want things to run and the only way to do that is to keep their people afraid and compliant and they do that through our school systems. American children are conditioned from day ONE to be what the government wants them to be. Why? Because their parents were conditioned before that and their parents before that and so forth and so on. 

And that conditioning continues well into their schooling! It's mind manipulation and the government is very good at using it, so good that they no longer have to make an effort anymore, they've got the American people doing it FOR them so our government officials are just sitting back and letting it happen.

The worst part? THEY'VE been conditioned to do this! And their predecessors as well! Whoever started this manipulation is long gone and dead and died rest assured that things will stay the same.

Don't like it? Then THINK for yourself! Question EVERYTHING! 

my4kids274
by Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Did anyone take notice that this post was from November 10, 2013????

143myboys9496
by Suzzanne on Apr. 8, 2014 at 2:02 PM
1 mom liked this

No, it's not just you. Common Core, sista, common core.

Not to mention, we're now working on 2 generations of kids that don't experience disappointment until they're out of high school. 

Everyone plays, everyone gets a trophy, F's aren't F's anymore so we don't hurt little Johnny's feelings. 

And if your child can't sit still and absorb regurgitated information, they had ADD or ADHD. Teenagers are handed cars, and snub jobs at Micky D's, Dunkin Donuts..they're ALL above that. Really? at 17 you're ABOVE flipping burgers? **smh**

I cannot tell you how thrilled and relieved I am after this year my kids are out of public schools. 

I do fear for the future. 

hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Apr. 8, 2014 at 3:32 PM
1 mom liked this

well there are quite bit of generalizing, in your post. 

Schools are not the same.  Also it is not up to the school to teach everything.  Parent/teacher relationship is a must

pixie-buttercup
by Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 3:47 PM

I agree with some of your points. While I do think that our public school system is going downhill, a big part of it is that many kids don't have the support at home. Take a look around the playgrounds and libraries....kids are running wild and mom is sitting on the sidelines with a Starbucks coffee and an iPhone. Parents don't give a shit anymore. Easier to blame someone else. "They spend 8hrs/day with the teachers....blame her/him!"

I have friends that went through our city schools which are God awful and have excelled and have great jobs and great salaries. Then I have some friends that went to very affluent districts and ended up making a career out of Pizza Hut. A lot of it is what you put into it at home. Teachers absolutely cannot be blamed for it all. I have many friends that are teachers and I am always appalled to hear what they go through with parents. Parents who basically tell the teachers and administrators that "my kid is your problem since you're with him more than I am."  

lazyd
by Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 6:43 PM

totally agree.

TheQueenOfChaos
by Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 6:55 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with most of what you said but if you think teachers are running wile with out tax dollars you clearly have no idea what kind of salary they make.

The average starting salary is less than $33,000.

That's less than a daycare. A single daycare worker can care for an average of 6 children. The average cost of a daycare is $972 a month per child. That's almost $70,000.

A teacher has an average of 25 students for the same amount of time. At a salary of $33,000 that's $110 per month per child and a teacher does more for your child than a daycare worker does.

On top of that, they're given such a minimal budget for their classroom. In the 2012-2013 school year, public school teachers spent 1.6 billion dollars out of pocket to pay for classroom supplies. That's money coming OUT of that menial salary to pay for your children. Money coming out of their child's mouths for yours. Teachers do not work for the money, because there is no real money. Teachers work because they care.

They are far from running wild with your tax dollars. Teachers are underpaid, understaffed, and expected to teach children using old and outdated materials because the states refuse to provide the public schools with a working budget to replace the materials.

Yes, there are bad teachers. There are bad doctors, bad CEOs, bad grocers, etc.. There are bad people at every job who do not deserve even the menial paycheck they receive, but the minority doesn't speak for the majority.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN