Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

so annoyed with my daughters teacher over confrence time

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 8:57 AM
  • 2 Replies

I have 5 children, 3 of them are special needs adoptions who attend 2 special needs schools in our large district (preschool and elementary). Now I feel the need to explain how our district is set up because it confuses people. There is a school for kindergarten to 4th grade, then they attend a school for 5/6 grade before moving on to middle 7/8 then high school 9-12. So they attend 4 schools.

As a rule I am a very easy going parent, I have to be when dealing with 4 schools last year. 

Normally I set up conferences at curriculum nights, however my 5th grade daughters teacher said she would send home notes later rather then having a sign up sheet. Well first off I sent in a note as requested stating  Times and schools for my other conferences, including a note that it takes at least 30 min n traffic to get between schools, we live in a large community. 

My daughter brings me home a note about next week, stating she has given me a conference time right in the middle of the other two, starting when my 4th graders ends and ending when my preschoolers starts. I figure it's an over sight, most of my family are teachers and my ex fiancee is a high school one. I send her an email only to be told he feels it's a parent's job to set up a babysitter, I realized after the third email was getting form letter responses. So I called the school, the Secretary who I've known for years tells me I'm the 4th parent to call her about this issue who has a child in another school. Just most other families the timing with travel isn't such a big deal. The non special needs lower elementary is only 5 min down the road. so now I am waiting to find out a new time. I'm just very frustrated with the whole thing. She is new to the district and maybe doesn't realize that there are so many schools a decent distance awAy.

It's just so annoying, the Secretary told me she came from a private school k thru 8, and appears to not have realize the importance of the sign up sheet and not just picking Times for parents. In all my years during with this situation I've never had an issue before this. Ok, vent over I feel better now. 

by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 8:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
amonkeymom
by Amy on Nov. 13, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Wow, I agree that's really frustrating.  Does she not understand that sometimes conferences run long and parents don't always have every child in the same school?  What a dummy!

goldilocksbecky
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 7:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Did you message her back to clarify that it's not a "childcare" issue . . . it's an "I can't be in 3 places at one time" issue . . . and these other 2 conferenes were scheduled first?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)