Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

What would you tell your child... ?

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 1:24 PM
Amy
  • 10 Replies

If he told you he wants to be gay?

I was reading an article this morning about a mom whose 7 year old son told her just that and the conversation they had that followed.

What would you say to your child if he told you he wanted to be gay?

by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 1:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EireLass
by Silver Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 2:25 PM
6 moms liked this

"Wanted to be", as oppposed to "is"?

I would probably tell a 7 year old they're not going to be anything but a 7 year old kid.

cybcm
by Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:08 AM
Wanted or is? Big difference.
dingysfamily
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 2:13 PM

I agree with this.  I don't believe anyone actually 'wants' to be.  I think it's something you either are or aren't.

Quoting cybcm:

Wanted or is? Big difference.

dingysfamily
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 2:15 PM

As to answer you question .... if one of my children came to me and told me he, or she, was gay, then I would tell them that even though I being a Christian don't believe it's the natural order of what God wants, I still love him/her and I will always love, support and accept him/her.

alexgia
by Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 4:02 PM

dil's nephew told his parents he was gay at about that age.  everyone is very supportive of him although at that age i don't know if he totally understands what it means.  

BlueKWoz
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 7:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I would tell him, that its not something that he can want, its something that he will "be" once he is older and understands about those sort of relationships, but that regardless, we love him, support him, and have no issue with it.

Lovingmommy1028
by Vanessa on Nov. 19, 2013 at 10:57 AM

BUMP!

MommeeTo4
by Smart Mouth McGee on Nov. 19, 2013 at 11:01 AM
1 mom liked this
My kids already know that I am ok with them being straight, gay, bi or whatever.

My kids are 13, 12, 10, 7 and 2.5

We have had discussions with them before and told them it is ok to be yourself and no matter what we will always love them and support them fully.

Being gay doesn't change a thing about my love and support for my children.
LivinDeadGurl
by Gold Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 8:58 AM

My children all know that I am fine with whatever orientation they are. 

mskeeinmd
by Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 10:29 AM

The fact that he said he wanted to be as opposed to just being I would tell him that I wanted to have wings and fly, but unfortunately that isn't going to happen.  Now, if he said he was gay, I'm sure it wouldn't happen at 7 because he wouldn't know what gay was.  If he said he was different, liked boys and wanted to talk, I would take to him and reassure him that he is mine and I love him no matter what.  I don't support experimenting.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)