Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think public schools should be allowed to have pictures of Jesus?

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 2:02 PM
Amy
  • 11 Replies

I was just reading an article that said this... 

"A school in eastern Ohio says it will remove a painting of Jesus from a school office after the American Civil Liberties Union threatened a lawsuit.

The East Muskingum school district's board voted on Thursday to remove the painting from John Glenn High School in New Concord.

School district Superintendent Jill Johnson says the painting was donated in honor of a Latin teacher who died in front of her class in 1971 after teaching for more than 50 years."

Do you think removing the painting is the right thing to do?

by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 2:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dingysfamily
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 2:11 PM
4 moms liked this

No, I don't .. and I'm not afraid to answer this question either.  This country was founded on Christian beliefs.  I don't think that God should be taken out of our schools, but I also don't believe that we should force those of other beliefs to pray if they don't want to either.  They on the other hand, shouldn't expect us Christians to toss aside our beliefs, the ones that this country was originally built on, to satisfy theirs either. 

cbk_mom3
by Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Quoting dingysfamily:

No, I don't .. and I'm not afraid to answer this question either.  This country was founded on Christian beliefs.  I don't think that God should be taken out of our schools, but I also don't believe that we should force those of other beliefs to pray if they don't want to either.  They on the other hand, shouldn't expect us Christians to toss aside our beliefs, the ones that this country was originally built on, to satisfy theirs either. 

Could not have said it better myself! I agree 100%!

Marge2624
by Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 6:16 PM
2 moms liked this

This country was founded on religous freedom not Christianity; check your history books not your Bible. 

Quoting dingysfamily:

anotherandree
by Inga on Nov. 18, 2013 at 6:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Check your coins AND your Pledge of Alligence.  It was founded on Christian beliefs.  Further, a little known fact is that Senate and House of Representative meetings for all States and the Federal government begin with a short prayer, albeit to no particular diety other than "God" like that listed on the currency and in the Pledge.

And, yes, while the original settlers did not want to be part of the original Church of England which is why they came to America, but they were still Christians.  PURITANS.  Please, check your history books.

Quoting Marge2624:

This country was founded on religous freedom not Christianity; check your history books not your Bible. 

Quoting dingysfamily:

Marge2624
by Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 6:38 PM

God was added to money and the pledge in the fifities over fear of Communism.  And the religous freedom this country was founded on means my kids and others do not have to have anyones religion shoved in their face whether it is a picture of Christ or the Star of David.  It is inappropriate for a PUBLIC school to post any of these. 

Quoting anotherandree:

Check your coins AND your Pledge of Alligence.  It was founded on Christian beliefs.  Further, a little known fact is that Senate and House of Representative meetings for all States and the Federal government begin with a short prayer, albeit to no particular diety other than "God" like that listed on the currency and in the Pledge.

And, yes, while the original settlers did not want to be part of the original Church of England which is why they came to America, but they were still Christians.  PURITANS.  Please, check your history books.

Quoting Marge2624:

Quoting dingysfamily:

anotherandree
by Inga on Nov. 18, 2013 at 6:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Let's have a little history lesson boys and girls!  Ready?

The motto: In God we trust was NOT, in fact, adopted because of Communism in the 1950s, but was adopted AS OUR NATION'S MOTTO on MARCH 3, 1965!  It was put on ALL COINS in 1908 and when the paper currency was completely overhauled in the 1960s it was added then (hmmm, after the Cold War).  Care to check my facts?

However, they did add, "under God" to the Pledge of Allegiance as a response to the Communist threat in the 50s.

In light of all this, I wonder if they are still teaching TOLERANCE and DIVERSITY in PUBLIC schools?  Because wouldn't it a shame to learn that...

Quoting Marge2624:

God was added to money and the pledge in the fifities over fear of Communism.  And the religous freedom this country was founded on means my kids and others do not have to have anyones religion shoved in their face whether it is a picture of Christ or the Star of David.  It is inappropriate for a PUBLIC school to post any of these. 

Quoting anotherandree:

Quoting Marge2624:

Quoting dingysfamily:

BlueKWoz
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 7:52 PM
1 mom liked this

My kids go to Catholic School so its a moot point, but when my son was in public school, I would have absolutely had a problem with a photo of Jesus Christ in the school.  He was not attending a Christian school, he was attending a school where in his classroom he had two Jewish kids, one Muslim and several non Christians.

I wonder how these people who are for it would feel if it was a large painting of Mohammed?

ambrsmm7
by Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 7:06 AM

I think the picture should stay. God should not be taken out of the schools.

Kimberly

esox
by Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 7:21 AM
As a historical figure I see no issue with it. As a religious figure, take it out. If it was in memory of a teacher why not replace it with a photo of him/her?

Personally I think everyone gets a little to touchy about things like this. If you really really have an issue with it, bring in a picture of Krishna or Mohammed or Buddha or whom ever and ask that it be hung along side Jesus. If they refuse, then you have the right to complain.
zeesmuse
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Someone needs to remind the ACLU - as well as certain congregations of people - that the Separation of Church and State is NOT in the Constitution. And it IS in the BIll of Rights that we are allowed to worship FREELY. 

Thomas Jefferson wrote the Senate way back in the day and told them that they should NOT interfere with Church Business. Not the other way around. Period.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)