Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mailed Christmas Gift, USPS states delivered, sister claiming "stolen" pog

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2013 at 1:04 AM
  • 15 Replies

Poll

Question: Should I replace the gifts?

Options:

Yes

No

Maybe (please explain)

Yes, and Netflix/Family gift is ok

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 31

View Results

Hi,

I mailed my sister's family's Christmas gifts (for six people) early with tracking. USPS shows it was delivered yesterday (I have tracking). Sister is claiming it never arrived and was stolen. I spent a lot of $$ on the gifts and a small forturne to mail it cross country. My sis and I are not close, and she has a history of being manipulative and not always honest. I am wondering should I say "Oh well, sorry to hear that," or should I replace the items? I am hard up for money right now, and would replace the gifts, but a nagging part of me thinks she is pulling a fast one on me. Of course I did not buy insurance. If I do "replace" the gifts, would it be ok to cheap out and get a family gift like a netflix subscription or do i have to buy SIX more gifts AGAIN? I plan on waiting a few more days before I hastily buy more gifts (if I do). So annoyed and frustrated. I guess lesson learned, always buy insurance.

by on Dec. 4, 2013 at 1:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MANDY26325
by Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 1:11 AM

bump

MANDY26325
by Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Would love to hear feedback along with the votes :)

2manydiapers
by on Dec. 4, 2013 at 1:20 AM
10 moms liked this
Honestly no, tell her you can not afford it. That you will make a claim, and she will need to make a legal affidavit stating she never received the items. That it may go to court, basically manipulate her back. Tell her you spoke to an offical and they are looking into investigating.

Then see what she says.
cjsix
by Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 1:24 AM
5 moms liked this

Go to the Post office with the tracking info and have them pull up the info on the delivery etc...even with tracking they may have a limited amount of insurance on it if something happens. I wouldn't replace it out of pocket given what you have shared about her...just tell her you are sorry but,can't afford to do anything more if the Post Office proves it was delivered or can't replace it.

mylilsunshine
by New Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 1:32 AM
2 moms liked this

You don't have to do anything.

Even if she is telling the truth, I'm sorry but replacing 6 gifts for others outside your immediate family is not always easy to do. Especially if it was stolen in their care. Yes, UPS does leave packages at the door step but that's the end of their job. Didn't your sister know she was expecting the gifts?

It sucks for her and her family if they really were stolen but she can't expect you to go all out and buy evertything again.

Firenygirl180
by Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 1:39 AM
1 mom liked this
You should be able to call her local post office and ask them about it. My post office is pretty good about things.
jalikym
by Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 11:01 AM
1 mom liked this

I would go for net flix.

mommacupKate
by on Dec. 4, 2013 at 5:08 PM

That could have happened.  I've had dozens of packages go missing since living in this house (almost 4 years). It's only happened with USPS and sometimes I'm home, sometimes I'm not. Even now, when I track the mising packages from the past year or so, the message reads either: "Out For Delivery" or "Delivered".

calsmom62
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 6:34 PM
1 mom liked this
we have had mixed luck with Ups. in one instance the entire neighborhood was sporadically not receiving packages but they were showing as delivered. the police finally investigated and it was the driver another time it was a ring of thieves following the truck around. i would tell her sorry and while you hope the gifts show up you are replacing them with a netflix subscription. you will know you did the best you could
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by on Dec. 4, 2013 at 6:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I think if your gut is saying she's being dishonest, I'd trust my gut.

I'd follow it up with the post office to be safe, and let her know.  But no, I wouldn't buy anything extra to send out.  Trust me, the post office/company will follow up, because stealing mail is illegal!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)