Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Mentally ILL

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2013 at 2:46 PM
  • 8 Replies

How mentally ill should  someone be to have their reproduction rights taken away?

by on Dec. 20, 2013 at 2:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Momofmenagerie
by Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 2:58 PM
1 mom liked this
There is no such thing as too "mentally ill" to spay a human being. I don't think that's the population you mean, though.

I think you mean developmentally /intellectual disability. My answer is the same. With appropriate support and guidance, a person with a developmentally disability is capable of taking care if a child.

However, I do feel there should be even harsher punishments for rape in general and exploitation of someone with a developmental disability.
SSabbykatt
by Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 3:00 PM

I mean schizophernia

BUMBLEscumble
by on Dec. 20, 2013 at 3:03 PM
2 moms liked this

Wow!  Now that is certainly a loaded question and an answer best left given only AFTER extensive research, up to and including nature vs. nurture (control) aspects.

Momofmenagerie
by Member on Dec. 21, 2013 at 1:57 PM
1 mom liked this
Again, with proper supports, no one is too mentally ill, with proper psyche and the OB on board, a person with a serious mental illness can be pregnant and handle the pressures of motherhood. Motherhood should never be done alone. When a person has an extenuating circumstance, it's best to create your " circle of support " beforehand" family , friends , psyche, and therapist to be sure you have helping hands for you, throughout the pregnancy and after you have your beautiful babe.
That's what I did.

Quoting SSabbykatt:

I mean schizophernia

SpiritFortress
A fruit fly drowned in my chai latte after being scalded upon landing. Poor little bugger.
Yesterday at 8:09 PM
by Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 4:07 PM

I'm going to be candid here. I have been diagnosed with severe mental illness. One of those diagnoses is schizophrenia. When I got pregnant I had no idea what was going on with me. If I had known then what I know now I think considering not allowing someone like me reproduce is worth taking into consideration. I mean there are the genetic factors to consider and being raised with a mentally ill parent can't be all rainbows and butterflies. My children and I are very close and overall, I think we did fine but there were challenges along the way. It can't be easy to come visit Mom after she gets back from the psych ward. 

Bonneata
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 9:47 PM

IDK I think it would have to be a case by case thing. I know lots of people with mental health issues who are wonderful parents. 

nuts4scouts
by Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 2:13 PM

Having a person make their OWN decision about having children is one thing  - having another person, or governmental agency, make it FOR them is an entirely different thing.

It is illegal to sterilize a person without their consent. The ONLY exception to this would be if the person was mentaly unable to give consent, and then there are a number of factors that have to be taken into consideration and it would have to go thru the courts.

lancet98
by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 6:15 AM

That isn't how it works in a society that respects human rights.   In the US human rights are respected and that is incorporated in the laws of the country.

A schizophrenic can be a fine parent.    No one can take away a person's rights to have children, the children cannot even be removed from the home - unless they do not care for them properly in a very major and basic way.  

So the mentally ill parent is evaluated for their ability to parent, not by some diagnostic label.

I know parents with severe mental illness sho do a great job.    To simply judge all by a diagnosis is - insane.

Quoting SSabbykatt:

I mean schizophernia

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN