Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

I Need Some Advice, Quick, Please.

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2014 at 8:57 AM
  • 4 Replies

My fiance, our only source of income, lost his job. He never could handle money and all I managed to save up was a thousand dollars. How do I get on welfare for food stamps, money, medical assistance and to apply for Liheap until we get back on our feet? Does anyone know how to go about doing this? Please, no bashing, because I never wanted to have to do this in the first place. Thanks.

by on Feb. 7, 2014 at 8:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
anakg
by on Feb. 7, 2014 at 1:23 PM
1 mom liked this
You need to apply for all that. Search social services on google go there and you can apply for food stamps and cash aid
Mishy2
by Michelle on Feb. 7, 2014 at 8:45 PM

Oh no sorry to hear that, Good luck with everything.

**** Join us at ~*~ MOMMY CHATS ~*~ - a fun place for moms, moms to be, and TTC women to meet other moms, give advice, share stories, make new friends and just chat. Join us today!                
http://www.cafemom.com/group/119876

Midsummerdawn
by New Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 2:14 PM

generally you can find it at yourstate.gov

It could take them over a month to get around to giving you any kind of help and if they see that you have 1000 in savings, they'll want you to spend it first. And they generally won't give you money for bills till after you have a shutoff notice to show them.

zeesmuse
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 4:01 PM

Your fiance needs to apply for Unemployment. That is done at your local unemployment office. He needs to look for work asap. If you aren't working, you need to as well.

You need to go to DFACS or Department of Family Services to apply for Food Stamps, TANF, etc. 

Check into your local churches and charities for aid with bills. In many cases, that is only available on the first of the month. I'm sorry. In truth, government aid should be your LAST resort and they'll pretty much demand they be your last resort. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)