Marijuana LeafTwo 8-year-olds and a 9-year-old are facing possible expulsion from Sonora Elementary School in California for the shenanigans they pulled in the school’s bathroom last week. It seems that the third-graders were caught smoking pot.

Third-graders. Smoking. Pot. I’m not even really sure where to go with that information. How did they get it? Where was the teacher? How did they even know how to smoke it? Don’t they know they’re not supposed to play with lighters?

The kids were caught by a fellow classmate, who alerted school administrators (this is one time tattling is OK, kids). The police were contacted because, hi, California is a pretty progressive state, but recreational marijuana still isn’t legal here, even for the grownups. The cops questioned the kids (oh to be a fly on the wall during that interrogation), and they were later released to their parents.

Principal Chris Boyles refused to comment on the incident. Superintendent Leigh Shampain confirmed that “the students were caught smoking marijuana in the school’s bathroom,” but declined to discuss what discipline measures will be taken.

At least one parent at the school thinks they shouldn’t be allowed back. Linda Rodriguez told a local news station, “(I’m) shocked. To be in third grade and have their own pipe ... I think they should be expelled, but I also think they should follow it further to where they found (the drugs).”

Isn’t that the real question? In theory, third-graders should know “hugs not drugs,” but without an example to follow, how would they even know how to smoke pot? Yes, they are responsible for behaving very badly, but they got that dope from somewhere. Whoever was the original possessor of the pot bears some responsibility too.

Did you think these children should be expelled?