Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Woman arrested after children seen walking on cold street

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 8:41 PM
  • 31 Replies

Children walk to police station looking for ride to school

FARMINGTON, N.H. —A Farmington woman was arrested Tuesday after police said her three children walked to the police station to try to get a ride to school.

Police said they got a call Tuesday morning about three young-looking children walking along Main Street in cold weather. As an officer was about to leave to investigate, the children arrived at the station.

Investigators said the children were ages 5, 4 and 1, and police learned they were trying to get a ride to school. Police said Katarina Short, 26, left the children alone while she ran an errand.

Farmington Ambulance was called and checked the children out while they were given a warm breakfast from Crowley's Variety and Grill, police said. They also were given toys by the Farmington Recreation Department.

Police said that about an hour after the report came in, Short arrived at the station looking for her children.

"She told us a friend had picked her up, and she'd gone to run an errand," said Lt. John Drury. "She had allegedly said that she had left the kids in the care of a babysitter. When she provided us that name, that didn't pan out to be the truth."

Short was arrested and charged with endangering the welfare of a child and unsworn falsification.

Police said the temperature was 2 degrees Tuesday morning. They said the oldest child dressed himself and his siblings in coats and boots.

Short was placed on $4,000 personal recognizance bail and ordered to have no contact with the children. She is scheduled to appear in court on March 18.

The children were placed in foster care, and authorities said Short will be allowed supervised visits.

Read more: http://www.wmur.com/news/woman-arrested-after-children-seen-walking-on-cold-street/24820890#ixzz2vEku6rQU

by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 8:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
143myboys9496
by Suzzanne on Mar. 6, 2014 at 8:42 PM

I can't imagine, leaving my boys home alone for ANY amount of time when they were little. WTF was this woman thinking???

hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Mar. 6, 2014 at 8:47 PM

wow, I could never leave my kids alone so young.  poor babies.

143myboys9496
by Suzzanne on Mar. 6, 2014 at 8:52 PM

The thing is the 5yo made sure his siblings were wearing boots and jackets. I mean, how sweet and loving. But makes me wonder, how many times this child's been forced to be so responsible....

Quoting hayliedlr:

mysticalmalissa
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 9:13 PM

I hope those babies find a loving caring home, together.

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 10:15 PM

I would never leave a 5 year old home by themself, let alone with younger siblings. this woman needs parenting and common sense classes. I'm glad all three kids are ok

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 10:15 PM

Exactly. Most kids that age don't think about all that

Quoting 143myboys9496:

how many times this child's been forced to be so responsible....

EireLass
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 10:18 PM
Have you seen the pic of the mom?
She looks totally washed out on drugs.
maryg38
by New Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 10:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting EireLass: Have you seen the pic of the mom? She looks totally washed out on drugs.

She's definitely on sumthin

143myboys9496
by Suzzanne on Mar. 7, 2014 at 12:44 AM
2 moms liked this

No kidding. 10 to 1 her "errand" was getting crack. 

Quoting EireLass: Have you seen the pic of the mom? She looks totally washed out on drugs.

paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on Mar. 7, 2014 at 10:36 AM

I was thinking that too. I don't knwo any 5 year olds who are that responsible for themselves much less younger siblings.

Quoting 143myboys9496:

The thing is the 5yo made sure his siblings were wearing boots and jackets. I mean, how sweet and loving. But makes me wonder, how many times this child's been forced to be so responsible....

Quoting hayliedlr:

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)