Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Going on a trip and nervous! UPDATE!

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2014 at 12:00 PM
  • 30 Replies
1 mom liked this
I'm leaving Tuesday, just me and the baby, on a plane to go visit my family. DH is driving up a couple of days later and then we're driving to go visit his family (normally a 10ish hour drive without a newborn...) and then we're driving home. I'm so nervous. I don't want to be "that woman" on the plane with the screaming baby. The flight isn't long and I'll be wearing him in the wrap so I'm hoping he'll just sleep the whole time.
I'm also nervous for the car ride because he
hates his car seat. Anyone ever traveled with a little baby? Any advice?

UPDATE: we made it through his first plane ride! The first flight he slept trough the whole thing and the second flight he only fussed a little during takeoff and landing. But I'm so proud of him!
by on Mar. 16, 2014 at 12:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Mar. 16, 2014 at 12:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't worry too much.  I traveled with my kids when they were that little.  When I traveled with my son (2mths), people were surprised there was a baby on board.  Good luck and try not to sweat it.

And driving is best to take frequent breaks.

amonkeymom
by Amy on Mar. 16, 2014 at 12:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Try not to stress, the baby will pick up on that.

If baby uses a pacifier let him suck on that during take off and landing.  If not, try a bottle or nursing him during those times to help relieve any pressure in his ears.

Have a great trip!

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 5:01 PM

Bump I didn't travel with ds when he was that young. Have a safe trip

LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Mar. 16, 2014 at 5:03 PM
Yeah. I would have liked to wait until he's older, but I wanted to go while I was still on maternity leave so I didn't have to worry about vacation.

Quoting cjsmom1:

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 5:19 PM

That makes sense. It's tough because it's not like you can bring things to keep the baby entertained.

Quoting LeapBaby123: Yeah. I would have liked to wait until he's older, but I wanted to go while I was still on maternity leave so I didn't have to worry about vacation.
Quoting cjsmom1:

Noni2319
by Chrissy on Mar. 16, 2014 at 5:21 PM
1 mom liked this
I hope it goes well.
TRAVELMOM817
by on Mar. 16, 2014 at 11:26 PM
You might be that person on the plane with the crying baby! Don't worry everyone ( whether they remember or not) has been there. Stay calm and carry on. Have a great trip .
LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Mar. 16, 2014 at 11:56 PM
It's a super early morning flight so I'm hoping the plane isn't crowded and I can get a seat by myself.

Quoting TRAVELMOM817: You might be that person on the plane with the crying baby! Don't worry everyone ( whether they remember or not) has been there. Stay calm and carry on. Have a great trip .
bhow
by Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 10:45 AM
1 mom liked this

I used to travel all alone with my 2 when they were both in diapers.  I would drive from PA to VA about 6 times a year.  It was 9 hours one way.  I twice drove to Florida with them, alone.  He will be fine.  Most people are quite understanding when it comes to babies, I would love to offer to hold a crying baby to try and help calm them but, I know that's a 'no no' so I would never unless it seemed like an emergency.  Just stay calm yourself because he will sense your tension and could become upset feeling that you are.

143myboys9496
by Suzzanne on Mar. 17, 2014 at 11:05 AM

He'll sense your nervousness. So as best as you can, stay calm. Even on the car ride. We used to give them a bottle just before we left (if we were going to be driving for a long time) so their bellies were full, that might help make him happier. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)