Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

when do boys start talking?

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2014 at 8:29 PM
  • 21 Replies
My son is almost 22months old and he says many words. I know he can understand a lot of the things I am saying as well but im worried because other children his age are talking more, especially girls. I spoke 2 our Dr about this and she said as long as he is saying 8 to 12 words(which he is) then he is fine. Maybe I'm overreacting but he hasn't put more than 2 to 3 words together.just wondering when he will begin speaking. Any thoughts??
by on Mar. 16, 2014 at 8:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Noni2319
by Chrissy on Mar. 16, 2014 at 10:04 PM
It depends. My oldest is a chatterbox and he spoke early. My youngest didn't start talking a lot till he started preschool.
143myboys9496
by Suzzanne on Mar. 17, 2014 at 11:07 AM

Girls tend to talk earlier than boys. My eldest spoke earlier than my younger son. My eldest was talking before 2 years old, my younger son, didn't talk until around or just after 2. 

But then his older brother generally interpreted and translated for him. To this day, my younger son is a young man of few words, and my oldest can talk for hours.

lucky2Beeme
by Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 11:10 AM
Each child is different Both mine were early talkers. As long as Dr says don't worry then don't
Thelmama
by Thelma on Mar. 17, 2014 at 11:14 AM

Every child is different. Boy, girl, it doesn't matter. My son started talking way early. Used to astound people, LOL. My middle child, a girl talked a little later and I was a bit worried about her speech for a while. She was fine. He does sound like he is talking and understanding.  Understanding is key to speech.    Some put sentences together later than others.  Hang in there and try not to compare him to others. There is probably something he is better at than other kids his age.  Every kid develops differently.  

Bertha21
by Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 11:16 AM
My son started making conversation at about 2 1/2. He was learning two languages, so I wasn't worried. Now, we can't get him to be quiet. I am sure your son is just taking his time to get it right. :) Be patient, you'll miss that he isn't able to talk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mysticalmalissa
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 12:04 PM

My boys all started at different time.

MrsImperfect
by Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 12:10 PM
Doesn't matter the sex they all have their own time line when they talk. I have 3 kids 2 boys one girl. One boy and my girl started talking at 6 months. Full sentences at 15 months. My other son has speech therapy because he could never talk properly and didn't start until he was around 2.
Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Mar. 17, 2014 at 1:37 PM

My son was always talked for by his sisters.  So much that he developed speech problems, and hardly talks now.  We are not very good examples at all, but it all depends on the child.

hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Mar. 17, 2014 at 8:02 PM

It just depends on the kid.  I have heard people say that boys talk later, but I have yet to compare.

LaReina_5
by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 8:05 PM
My son is 2 will be 3 in October and he speaks but really only when he wants. Everything isn't clear yet but some is. So I think it just depends on the child.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)