Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Do you kids play sports?

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 9:31 AM
  • 20 Replies

Both of my boys are playing soccer this spring. My oldest played in the fall and really liked it. My little guy wanted to play but didn't make the cut off in the fall.

by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 9:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
143myboys9496
by Suzzanne on Mar. 18, 2014 at 10:35 AM

Both of mine played baseball. Additionally my youngest played basketball, and played about 2 months of football his freshman year before suffering a concussion, and being diagnosed with post concussion syndrome. (which I think is worse than the concussion itself.)

hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Mar. 18, 2014 at 11:50 AM

no

Noni2319
by Chrissy on Mar. 18, 2014 at 11:51 AM
Oh no!

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Both of mine played baseball. Additionally my youngest played basketball, and played about 2 months of football his freshman year before suffering a concussion, and being diagnosed with post concussion syndrome. (which I think is worse than the concussion itself.)

LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Mar. 18, 2014 at 12:15 PM
That's so sad. DH has had several concussions and I worry about that.

Quoting 143myboys9496:

LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Mar. 18, 2014 at 12:17 PM
DS will probably play sports when he's old enough. DH is a huge soccer fan, so if he's interested, he'll probably do that. Maybe swimming.
143myboys9496
by Suzzanne on Mar. 18, 2014 at 12:27 PM

I hear your concern. Looking back, several things that we went through with him that we thought were behavior related, were part of pcs. Including all the GI issues he had this time last year. 

We thought he was recovered, so in the fall of his sophmore year he tried out for basketball. After 1 tryout all of his symptoms came back. He continued to go to school, but after that he had issues with anger in the winter/spring of his sophomore year. We thought he was being a rebellious teenager. Looking back, it was pcs. 

As a mom, (and a nurse) I feel terrible I didn't recognize it. It was only though hours of research that I learned about pcs. Ds's GI doc kept saying "he's suffering from pcs" I was looking for headaches, dizziness, blurred vision..but there's SO much more, anxiety, anger, GI issues can be triggered by anxiety..etc. Needless to say it was an eye opener.

Quoting LeapBaby123: That's so sad. DH has had several concussions and I worry about that.
Quoting 143myboys9496:

LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Mar. 18, 2014 at 1:03 PM
Is there any treatment or therapy for pcs?

Quoting 143myboys9496:

I hear your concern. Looking back, several things that we went through with him that we thought were behavior related, were part of pcs. Including all the GI issues he had this time last year. 

We thought he was recovered, so in the fall of his sophmore year he tried out for basketball. After 1 tryout all of his symptoms came back. He continued to go to school, but after that he had issues with anger in the winter/spring of his sophomore year. We thought he was being a rebellious teenager. Looking back, it was pcs. 

As a mom, (and a nurse) I feel terrible I didn't recognize it. It was only though hours of research that I learned about pcs. Ds's GI doc kept saying "he's suffering from pcs" I was looking for headaches, dizziness, blurred vision..but there's SO much more, anxiety, anger, GI issues can be triggered by anxiety..etc. Needless to say it was an eye opener.

Quoting LeapBaby123: That's so sad. DH has had several concussions and I worry about that.

Quoting 143myboys9496:

LML1
by Kristy on Mar. 18, 2014 at 4:53 PM
1 mom liked this

my dd will begin soccer in april

143myboys9496
by Suzzanne on Mar. 18, 2014 at 4:59 PM

Mostly treat the symptoms. People that suffer from pcs have alot of anxiety. In researching pcs I learned just how much that anxiety can affect one's GI system. 

After going thru alot of testing, dr's appts, med weaning. He's now med free!! (YAY)

I decided to treat him as if he has irritable bowel. We went gluten free, which by itself helped alot! He noticed a difference within a week. He's also cut out (as much as he can) high fructose corn syrup, and follows Paleo with dh and I. He feels SO much better. 

Most importantly, he's learned what he can and can't eat. How much of something he can have before it gets to him. He's missed 2 days of school since this semester started the end of Jan!! I'm so proud of him!! He's come a long way. 

Quoting LeapBaby123: Is there any treatment or therapy for pcs?
Quoting 143myboys9496:

Quoting 143myboys9496:

LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Mar. 18, 2014 at 5:05 PM
Wow, that's really interesting. DH has some GI and anxiety issues (not severe, just more of an annoyance at this point) and now I'm wondering if it has anything to do with his concussions...

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Mostly treat the symptoms. People that suffer from pcs have alot of anxiety. In researching pcs I learned just how much that anxiety can affect one's GI system. 

After going thru alot of testing, dr's appts, med weaning. He's now med free!! (YAY)

I decided to treat him as if he has irritable bowel. We went gluten free, which by itself helped alot! He noticed a difference within a week. He's also cut out (as much as he can) high fructose corn syrup, and follows Paleo with dh and I. He feels SO much better. 

Most importantly, he's learned what he can and can't eat. How much of something he can have before it gets to him. He's missed 2 days of school since this semester started the end of Jan!! I'm so proud of him!! He's come a long way. 

Quoting LeapBaby123: Is there any treatment or therapy for pcs?

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN