Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Does a biological father have rights if...edit* second question added.

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2014 at 4:23 AM
  • 7 Replies
He is not on the birth certificate and the child does not have his last name?

So I can still give the baby his last name but if he is not there to sign the acknowledgment of paternity then he has no rights?

PS:he isn't trying to prove he is anything he just up and left cuz he had to get a job and didn't want to.
by on Mar. 22, 2014 at 4:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Patti-Gee
by on Mar. 22, 2014 at 8:45 AM

Here in NY, if the child is born out of wedlock, the fathers name doesn't go on the birth certificate unless he proves paternity.   Either by word or specimen.

The child can have your last name,  and still have the father's name listed. At least here in NY that's how it works.

colins_mom
by Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 8:48 AM
It depends. In MI even if they have his last name and there is no affidavit of parentage signed (cant have his name on the bc with out that or a dna test if you aren't married) he still has no rights.

My friend has a dna test saying his dd is his but his name isn't on her bc yet (they are fighting for it atm) so he has no legal rights to her.
AutymsMommy
by Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 8:51 AM
Sure, if he proves he is the child's father. If you refuse him the chance to prove it, he can take you to court for a court ordered paternity test.
mysticalmalissa
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 9:28 AM

Yes, once he proves he is the Dad.

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 1:14 PM

Not unless he signs a paper saying he's the dad that's given at the hospital or he gets a dna test done

LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Mar. 26, 2014 at 11:16 AM
I think he can take you to court to prove he is the father. If he wants to.
MonarchMom22
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 11:18 AM

I think you can out any name on a birth certificate.  that does not prove or disprove parentage.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)