Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Homeless mom leaves kids in car~ Update

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 1:55 PM
  • 111 Replies
3 moms liked this

$27,000 RAISED IN HONOR OF SHANESA TAYLOR, HOMELESS MOM WHO LEFT KIDS IN HOT CAR TO GO ON JOB INTERVIEW

171 COMMENTS
March 28, 2014 ‐ By 

Google Plus

Google Plus

I’m sure you have heard about Shanesha Taylor. The Scottsdale, Ariz. native and 35-year-old homeless mother of two was arrested after she left her 2-year-old and six-month-old sons in a hot SUV that was locked with the windows cracked as she went for a job interview at an insurance company. According to the Herald Sun, a passerby heard Taylor’s youngest child crying and called police. When they arrived, Taylor returned to her car 45 minutes after police got to the scene, and when police arrested her, the two boys were reportedly “crying and sweating profusely.” Taylor told police that she was homeless and needed the work, and because she couldn’t find someone to watch her kids, she had to take them with her. This event occurred on March 20.

The response to her story has been split, with some people saying that while she did make a mistake, she was simply trying to find work to feed her kids. Others say, she left two kids in a hot car, it’s wrong, dangerous, and she should have known better. Well, those in support of Taylor have actually set up afundraising campaign on YouCaring.com to help raise money for Taylor and her kids, who are in the custody of Child Protective Services at this time as she awaits charges. The goal was only $9,000, which according to the person who set up the fundraising campaign, Amanda Bishop, would be put into an account for her family. However, the fundraiser has brought in a whopping $27,000 (at the time of this post, $27,827). Here’s what Bishop had to say about why she created the campaign for Taylor:

“There are some of us that feel that Shanesha was in an unfortunate situation that sadly an economy like ours is putting many single mother’s in a position to make terrible mistakes like this. This fund raiser was set up in an effort to help Shanesha and her situation.”

And those who contributed funds to the campaign as supporters left different messages they are hoping will get to Taylor, letting her know that they stand by her:

“I can’t give too much but I can see the pain and struggle in her mugshot and that hurts my heart. Even if I’m only able to give a little …. I want to help.”

“You were stuck between a rock and a hard place, not an easy decision. I wish you the best. Stay strong!”

“Dear Shanesha, I am so sorry that we live in a world with such inequality. My mother was a single working mom and I know how hard it was for her, and she was white, with a college education. I don’t know your background, but I know you deserve a home and a job and a safe environment to raise your children. You are a caring human being, trying your best, and the system is horribly unfair. We need to support you. Please don’t give up hope!”

The generosity of the people in this campaign is very moving. As previously mentioned, Taylor’s children have been taken into custody by CPS, and as for her, she has been charged with two felony child abuse charges and remains in jail, according to The Huffington Post. The whole situation is a sad one. If you would like to support the campaign, check out the fundraising page on YouCaring and get more details on where the money is going and what other ways you can help Taylor.

by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 1:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AJsMom81507
by Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 2:36 PM
1 mom liked this

good, she deserves to be jailed and have her kids taken.  what if the interview went longer and no one noticed the kids in the car?

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 4:07 PM
7 moms liked this

It's a sad situation, but hopefully good will come out of it. I'm sure the money will not only pay for a lawyer, but help her pay for a place to stay and childcare so she can get her life together

Noni2319
by Chrissy on Mar. 30, 2014 at 5:23 PM
2 moms liked this
It's very sad and I feel bad for her, but she never should have left her children in the car like that.
LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Mar. 30, 2014 at 5:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Wow. She never should have left those kids in the car.
valkay
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 5:59 PM
1 mom liked this
What did she plan on doing with the kids if she got the job.?..
MsElle
by Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 6:19 PM
15 moms liked this
You have no idea how much that woman loves and cares for her children. She's a single struggling mother that was between a rock and hard place and made a mistake whilst trying to better herself . Most of us are just a paycheck or two from being her

Quoting AJsMom81507:

good, she deserves to be jailed and have her kids taken.  what if the interview went longer and no one noticed the kids in the car?

MsElle
by Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 6:21 PM
11 moms liked this
My heart goes out to her... She made a mistake. Not a single one of us are perfect and are in no position to condemn her.
AJsMom81507
by Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 7:08 PM
3 moms liked this

if she loved them and cared for them that much she would know heat in a locked car with a window cracked can kill them.  i guess killing them to her would solve at least one problem.  no sympathy for her.  like a PP said also, what if she got the job.  would she leave her kids in it while she worked?

sorry but there is NO excuse for leaving your kids in the car in the heat, with a crack, NONE

Quoting MsElle: You have no idea how much that woman loves and cares for her children. She's a single struggling mother that was between a rock and hard place and made a mistake whilst trying to better herself . Most of us are just a paycheck or two from being her
Quoting AJsMom81507:

Mrs.wilcox01
by Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 7:12 PM
Bump
paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on Mar. 30, 2014 at 7:13 PM
4 moms liked this

I feel like that's a bit harsh. I feel like she was more ignorant than malicious. She needs help not to be in jail and or permanently taken away from her kids.

Quoting AJsMom81507:

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN