Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

My daughter was caught shoplifting and I couldn't be happier

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 5:47 PM
  • 371 Replies
213 moms liked this

I know that sounds odd but hear me out.

My 14 yo dd has been hanging around some questionable kids lately. I've been suspecting some drinking, smoking (pot) and shoplifting going on. (Not with her but the kids) I didn't put a stop to it because I'm big on natural consequences. If it's not going to kill her, then she needs to learn her own way.

So Friday she tells me that she and her friend are going to walk around the mall. A couple hours later I get a call from security. The girls were caught shop lifting. I was pissed but not surprised. I thanked the man and told him her life was over. He laughed,lol.

When I got there she was scared out of mind, tears coming down her face while her friend just sat there looking smug. DD said she was sorry and I told her she would be. The friend's mom just looked tired, signed some papers and took her dd home. (She was outside later that day) I talked to the man and it turns out dd stole 3 shirts worth $76. Even though they got the shirts back, we still have to pay for them. I told him no, dd will be paying for it. 

That's how I came up with the punishment. She will be grounded until she earns $76. She'll be working by doing chores and babysitting. Most chores are .25 or .50. She can do as many chores or as little as she wants. Work hard, your punishment will be shorter, be lazy and it'll be longer. In addition to that, she's never allowed to go anywhere with these kids again unless it's on our street in plain view of my sight. 

It's day two, our house has never been cleaner, dd is seriously reconsidering her friendships and is asking to go back to church. I guess the church kids don't seem so unapealing now,lol. All choices she made herself :-) So yeah in way I am glad this happened. 

by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 5:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
little.worthen
by Tessie on Mar. 30, 2014 at 5:50 PM
12 moms liked this

you always have the most interesting/disturbing stories...

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 5:52 PM
42 moms liked this

Good for you. This way you're getting the same results and she's making the decision herself. Plus learning such a valuable now will help prevent her from making the same mistake later when she could get in a lot more trouble for it.

paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on Mar. 30, 2014 at 5:52 PM
6 moms liked this

Thank you? 

Quoting little.worthen:

you always have the most interesting/disturbing stories...

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on Mar. 30, 2014 at 5:53 PM
3 moms liked this

Exactly! You said it well.

Quoting cjsmom1:

Good for you. This way you're getting the same results and she's making the decision herself. Plus learning such a valuable now will help prevent her from making the same mistake later when she could get in a lot more trouble for it.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

ilovemykids732
by Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 7:00 PM
5 moms liked this

I think this is a good thing, although by reading the title I cam into this ready to read about how she stole something good for you!! lol but no, thats really cool that she learned her lesson!! :)

paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on Mar. 30, 2014 at 7:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I didn't think of it that way,lol. But yeah, I'm glad too and I have the funny feeling that it will stick better this way.

Quoting ilovemykids732:

I think this is a good thing, although by reading the title I cam into this ready to read about how she stole something good for you!! lol but no, thats really cool that she learned her lesson!! :)

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

PirateLass
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:26 PM
3 moms liked this
That's an awesome punishment
LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Mar. 30, 2014 at 10:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Hope she learned her lesson :)
SoftMocha
by New Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 10:35 PM
2 moms liked this

Very Good Punishment! It makes her think about her choices.

lil_momma1411
by Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 9:45 AM
4 moms liked this
That's a great punishment and it's good that she was scared maybe she learned her lesson. And she is also learning to work for what u want. Good job mama!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)