Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

does anyone??

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2014 at 5:20 AM
  • 29 Replies

Balance their checkbook every month? 

I don't, neither did dh when he did the bills. I keep an extra $100 in so I don't get charged fees. 

How do you pay your bills? Do you wait until the due date or pay early? 

by on Apr. 2, 2014 at 5:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
143myboys9496
by Suzzanne on Apr. 2, 2014 at 5:22 AM

Dh gets paid every 2 weeks. So one of those checks (with mine) is for the mortgage. Then I've got to pay what I can with his other paycheck and balance it when I get paid alone. 

Sometimes I don't leave enough because I pay too many things. Sometimes I get overwhelmed leaving them and freak I won't be able to pay them in 2 or 3 weeks. 

Any thoughts?

want10more
by Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 5:33 AM

i do a ledger. track bills and payments. and i balance every month. i've found this way? i've saved a lot, cuz people make mistakes, and i've found them..........

143myboys9496
by Suzzanne on Apr. 2, 2014 at 5:35 AM

A ledger..hmm..I keep track of what's due every month, and (try to) plan a month ahead..

Quoting want10more:

i do a ledger. track bills and payments. and i balance every month. i've found this way? i've saved a lot, cuz people make mistakes, and i've found them..........

want10more
by Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 5:42 AM

i guess we do the same thing then........  i'm no accountant. but i will say my ex? ugh. counter checks. i never knew really how much money we had in the bank. but now i do balance to the penny. what my ledger did for me? medical bills. we have a lot of them. we got double-billed a lot, until i did my ledge w/ acct numbers, etc. but wow. it is a full time job sometimes i think. and confusing too.

Quoting 143myboys9496:

A ledger..hmm..I keep track of what's due every month, and (try to) plan a month ahead..

Quoting want10more:

143myboys9496
by Suzzanne on Apr. 2, 2014 at 6:01 AM

I do feel like it's a full time job. Dh thinks we should have more money "left over" than we do. But he spends more in 1 week, than I spend on my hair every 6-8 weeks!

It just frustrates me because he says things like "getting your nails done..AGAIN, and you say I spend money?" I've been going every 2 weeks for almost 3 years (2x/month). Every month what I spend on my nails is literally 1/2 of what he takes out of the bank every week.

I'm not trying to come off like he can't spend money, I don't mind. What I mind is when he says we can't afford things everyone else wants/needs, except him. The year my eldest graduated high school, he was adamant that we couldn't afford a party for him. I got pissed and showed him how HE was spending more money than I was even when I added getting my hair and nails done. Now he says "oh, I did that on purpose, I wanted you to show me you knew what was going on."

Seriously, it's these times I tell him "You DO know, I have a friend with a boat?"

Quoting want10more:

i guess we do the same thing then........  i'm no accountant. but i will say my ex? ugh. counter checks. i never knew really how much money we had in the bank. but now i do balance to the penny. what my ledger did for me? medical bills. we have a lot of them. we got double-billed a lot, until i did my ledge w/ acct numbers, etc. but wow. it is a full time job sometimes i think. and confusing too.

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Quoting want10more:

mcginnisc
by Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 6:34 AM

I'm a SAHM and I handle our finances. Dh gets paid every 2 weeks. I balance the checkbook every week and pay bills every 2 weeks. I go by when the bills are due. For instance, the mortgage is always due on the first, so I typically pay it with check #2 along with the phone, water, power, and the cc. Some bills are due the middle of the month like Dh's cc, so that gets paid on the first paycheck. I also put money into savings, Dh has money taken out and put into a different savings account from every check as well. We're big savers, but we also spend..we typically have a lot left over as our "spending" is eating out on the weekends with friends, going on mini trips with the kids and things like that. Neither of us are big spenders on "things we want" though...it's usually me treating the kids to Starbucks or something like that. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Melissa_anne
by on Apr. 2, 2014 at 6:41 AM

i do my bills twice a month, each time we get paid.  I balance the checkbook once a week

LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Apr. 2, 2014 at 7:52 AM
We both get paid every two weeks, on the same weeks. I usually pay bills as I receive then. We're very fortunate to make more money than we spend, but because of that, we're not very good at keeping track of it :/
starfire59
by New Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 9:23 AM

I also keep a ledger. I pay all the bills on the 1st of the month due or not. I round up in my check book when I enter each check and note it in my separate ledger, I've found that by doing this I add about 15 to 20 dollars a month to pad my account. Works for me.

143myboys9496
by Suzzanne on Apr. 2, 2014 at 9:36 AM

That's generally what I do as well. Pay the mortgage with check #2. I get paid weekly. We have quite a few bills, cars, insurance for 4 drivers, cc, mortgages. We had to do 2 mortgages when we moved because dh wasn't doing his job for 2 years. We put 10% down, then did an 80/10 mortgage. 

I just feel like I'm missing a step. I'm starting to think we spend more on groceries than we think we do...that and gas. I drive 100 miles round trip to work, 3 times a week. 

Quoting mcginnisc:

I'm a SAHM and I handle our finances. Dh gets paid every 2 weeks. I balance the checkbook every week and pay bills every 2 weeks. I go by when the bills are due. For instance, the mortgage is always due on the first, so I typically pay it with check #2 along with the phone, water, power, and the cc. Some bills are due the middle of the month like Dh's cc, so that gets paid on the first paycheck. I also put money into savings, Dh has money taken out and put into a different savings account from every check as well. We're big savers, but we also spend..we typically have a lot left over as our "spending" is eating out on the weekends with friends, going on mini trips with the kids and things like that. Neither of us are big spenders on "things we want" though...it's usually me treating the kids to Starbucks or something like that. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN