Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

It's Opening Day!

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 1:35 PM
Amy
  • 11 Replies

Here in Denver it's opening day for the Colorado Rockies!

Are you a baseball fan?

by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 1:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Apr. 4, 2014 at 4:00 PM

not a sports fan but baseball is really the only sport that I can watch and not get irritated

Noni2319
by Chrissy on Apr. 4, 2014 at 4:19 PM
Yep. Opening day was Monday here.
EireLass
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 6:58 PM
Opening day at Fenway!
dingysfamily
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 7:16 PM

Baseball is the Duvall family sport of choice.  Our sons played little league and our  youngest son played all through school and into community college, where he was drafted into the majors.  He went through the ranks, from the minors to the majors and played for the Florida Marlins, then the Devil Rays (when they first started and were the 'Devil Rays') and then the Minnesota Twins.  He played for a little over 10  years until he injured his arm and had Tommy-John surgery.  Then he was sent back to the minors (AAA in Rochester NY) for recovery and the coaches there ignored the doctors and played him too soon, too hard, & too often ... so he reinjured his arm.   When his contract came up for renewal he chose not to renew it.  Long story short, you would not believe the politics in pro sports ... it broke up his first marriage (& she was all for his career, they'd been together since high school) also.  He said when he walked away ... "I lived the little boys dream, made all the money, saw the country and had a great time, but it's not worth having to give up your own life so much."  He now has remarried, has 3 fantastic kids and even though he'll makes no where near the money he made then, he is a whole lot happier. He now coaches his oldest sons little league team.  As for this family being baseball fans, we sure do miss going to all those pro games!!!  At family picnics/cookouts a baseball game is almost played.

dingysfamily
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 7:22 PM

Here is a picture of our son when he  played for the Devil Rays; it was opening day at Camden Yards.  What a thrill watching your son signing autographs!!  He was left-handed relief pitcher.

And here is the last year he played, at Rochester  - the AAA team for the Minnesota Twins in 2003

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 1:19 AM

No

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Apr. 5, 2014 at 6:33 AM
I used to be. My Granddaddy and I shared the love of baseball. When he died, so did my love of baseball. I kinda picked it up when I was dating my ex, but when he became my ex I stopped watching baseball again.
LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Apr. 5, 2014 at 2:15 PM
I'm not really, but it's DH's favorite sport. I do enjoy going to games. It's just a little slow for tv.
143myboys9496
by Suzzanne on Apr. 5, 2014 at 5:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Dh and I are going to Sunday's game!! He got tickets from work.

Quoting EireLass: Opening day at Fenway!

EireLass
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 5:23 PM
Very lucky. I've only been to 1 game in my life. A couple years ago, someone gave me 2 tickets. I loved it, was so fun!
Quoting 143myboys9496:

Dh and I are going to Sunday's game!! He got tickets from work.

Quoting EireLass: Opening day at Fenway!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)