Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Would you hire a male babysitter for your kids?

Posted by on Apr. 6, 2014 at 11:08 AM
  • 14 Replies

I've used my oldest son as a babysitter for the younger kids in the past and now my youngest son is 13 and he loves little kids and is really good with them. 

But, I've never hired a male who was not family to watch my kids.  My ex-SIL used a male sitter when her son was small, and I thought it seemed odd.

Have you ever hired a male babysitter?  Would you?  Why/why not?

by on Apr. 6, 2014 at 11:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Noni2319
by Chrissy on Apr. 6, 2014 at 11:49 AM

I haven't. But I've never hired a sitter. We've only had family watch the boys. It would be really hard for me to make a decision about hiring a sitter male or female.

StreetsAhead
by Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 11:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Of course I would

I dont understand (and actually am insulted) by the paranoia about men and children

HAHuskey
by Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 12:01 PM
Yes but, as a rule, I don't let anyone I don't know watch mine
amonkeymom
by Amy on Apr. 6, 2014 at 12:24 PM

I probably would, but I don't think I've hired a sitter since my oldest was about a year or two old (and he's almost 26 now).  Friends make the best sitters, especially if they have kids of their own and are willing to trade child care.  Family make even better sitters! ;)

GoldenLinds
by on Apr. 6, 2014 at 12:30 PM
Yes I would. My brother is my standard babysitter but I actually prefer male sitters for my son. Hes just crazy and behaves better for men. I have a stepson who is also great with children and I would recommend him to anyone. Its no different than hiring a girl to mow my lawn.
naj2013
by on Apr. 6, 2014 at 12:32 PM
Not for my girls, I'm too paranoid and I'm sure I would make him uncomfortable, I would consider it if I had a boy though
Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Apr. 7, 2014 at 3:04 AM
Yes, I would. I don't discriminate, gender included, when I hire babysitters. As long as they do a great job.
dingysfamily
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 8:48 AM

My kids are grown, but when they were little I would have.  I always had a certain criteria for sitters, and the sex of one wasn't one of them.  My oldest son was always great with kids, from infants on up and made a great sitter.  I knew other males just like him, whereas I also knew plenty of females that babysat that I would never let baby sit my kids. 

143myboys9496
by Suzzanne on Apr. 7, 2014 at 10:19 AM

I never did, because there weren't any around. If there were, I would have done do, as a mom of boys I think it would have been good. 

Considering some of the female sitters I had..one "let" them "play" upstairs, when I left younger ds was napping, and they had a toy room on the main level. I remember I specifically told her NOT to let older ds upstairs as younger ds was sleeping.

She was with them 45 min to an hour, at the most. I had to get to a work class, and dh was going to be not more than an hour behind me. She bolted out of the house when he got home, which he thought odd. When he got upstairs, the boys were COVERED, in Desitin as was the carpet in younger ds's room. 

Another one, dh and I went to a wedding and got home LONG before midnight. She had her boyfriend in the house and they were (at the very least) kissing on the couch. She was all "wow, you're home early, most people that go to weddings don't get home until 12 or after." I couldn't speak to her, I asked dh to pay her and walked out of the room. I was pissed. She never asked if we'd mind her having her bf over after the boys were asleep. I'm not sure what I would have said, but I was really peeved.

Needless to say, I didn't use either sitter ever again. After that our date nights became rare. 

LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Apr. 7, 2014 at 8:33 PM

I would, if I knew him (same goes for a female babysitter). I don't think there are as many teenage guys who WANT to babysit, but if there were, I wouldn't have a problem with it. I remember having a male babysitter when I was a kid. Their family was good friends with ours. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN