Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

18 year male change his name?

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 12:40 AM
  • 13 Replies

My 18 year old nephew is changing his last name to his mother's maiden name becuase he hates his father.  Can any one relate to this?  Help me to understand this.

by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 12:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluebunnybabe
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 12:41 AM
Has his father been absent? It seems drastic to change his name but if it's what he wants I guess it's his choice.
bellawomen
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 12:55 AM
My best friend's son did this. He was 6 years old and his father walked by him in a park and didn't even recognize him. He however recognized his mom. He abused her and she left when her son was a few months old. She wasn't going to let him abuse her son. It took that whole time to get the divorce because he fighting every point and she was homeless for a while until someone took her in. He wouldn't show up for any visitations but fought for full custody. After the park incident they were in court to finalize some paperwork. The son asked the judge to speak. He wanted his last name changed to match his mom because she had a good heart and he wanted to grow up with a good heart. The judge gave the dad 1 year to show Hus son a change of heart. He never PSID child support, saw him, asked about him, nothing. The name change was granted. He son us now 21 and remembers the day he was given his moms name. They are so close and he has a heart of gold.

Names are an identity thing. I would never go back to my birth name. It was s random dude my "mom" met in s bar who beat me 3 days later. I would change my last name to my great-grandparents' because they are who I identify with as my parents. I am divorcing now and trying to decide what to do.
sfhea
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 1:12 AM

Quoting bluebunnybabe: Has his father been absent? It seems drastic to change his name but if it's what he wants I guess it's his choice.

yes, his father has been in his life, but the divorce which was around 2nd grade seemed to last about 7 years, and now his dad is with another man. And his mom is furious at his dad.

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Apr. 7, 2014 at 2:59 AM
Yep, I can. I changed my last name to my mom's maiden name when I was 15 for the exact same reason. *Hugs* to your nephew. My "father" is a real piece of work. :/
EireLass
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 10:07 AM
Yes, my daughter was going to do the same, but she ended up getting married....so name change there.
bluebunnybabe
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 10:24 AM
Well if his father hadn't been in his life, I don't blame him for not wanting his name. It's probably just a constant reminder to him.

Quoting sfhea:

Quoting bluebunnybabe: Has his father been absent? It seems drastic to change his name but if it's what he wants I guess it's his choice.

yes, his father has been in his life, but the divorce which was around 2nd grade seemed to last about 7 years, and now his dad is with another man. And his mom is furious at his dad.

143myboys9496
by Suzzanne on Apr. 7, 2014 at 10:26 AM

Quoting sfhea:

I can understand why he'd want to change his name, especially if his father hasn't been around for him. 

I would wonder though, is it because his father hasn't been there or because he's gay. Not that it should matter, he's 18 and can do what he wants. It's generally never a good idea to do something out of anger, generally things people do from anger they regret later. But even still, he wants his mom's name because she's been there for him, and she's his family, I can see why he'd want to. 

I work with a woman who has a son. He has her last name. His father died before he was born. 

sfhea
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 10:36 AM

Thanks ladies for responding.  

Crazylife1994
by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 8:41 PM

It is just a name. We changed our 13 yr old son's name because he hated it so much.

My niece and nephews chose to change their last names to mine and my husband's lastg name for the same reason your nephew is changing his.

LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Apr. 7, 2014 at 8:42 PM

I actually knew a family that this happened to. The husband cheated on the wife and left her for another women. Half the children sided with the mom, half the children sided with the dad. The ones that sided with the dad changed their last name. It was a really sad situation, actually, because it broke their family apart. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN