Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Have you ever had to take your child to the ER?

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 10:20 PM
Amy
  • 37 Replies

I've had to take 2 of my 3 kids to the ER at different times.  

I took my daughter twice when she was younger, once when she fell and pushed in her teeth and the other time she had a rash and had vomited (she had strep throat and it was a Friday night when it presented).

I took my younger son once.  He'd been roughousing with his brother at WalMart and fell and smacked his chin so hard on the floor that it popped open like a baked potato.  He got three stitches!

My older son did have an accident cutting meat once, but the doctor's office was open so I just took him there for stitches.

by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 10:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bmama1
by Bernadette on Apr. 7, 2014 at 10:44 PM
Yeah. My oldest had to go because he had a staph infection on his forehead. It was the weekend so we took him in. They had to drain it. It was so sad.
Bmama1
by Bernadette on Apr. 7, 2014 at 10:46 PM
I had to take ds2 in because he jumped off the couch and hurt his ankle.
Bmama1
by Bernadette on Apr. 7, 2014 at 10:48 PM
We had to call an ambulance for ds3 before. He was napping and spiked a fever super quick and had a febrile seizure. The seizure caused him to vomit and he was choking and blue when my husband checked on him. Scariest thing ever.
cjs702006
by Carla on Apr. 8, 2014 at 4:48 AM

I've had to take my son to the ER for different things. Just recently I had to take him because he had a terribly infected ingrown toenail on his big toe. It was so bad, they took off the whole nail and gave him 2 antibiotics to take to kill the infection.

Thelmama
by Thelma on Apr. 8, 2014 at 9:35 AM

My oldest many times due to severe asthma when he was little. All of them have been for dehydration due to tummy viruses. My kids dehydrate easily despite all the tricks for avoiding it.  My youngest for falling down the stairs when she was 4.  My oldest for falling at school and getting a concussion.

And finally, this past Friday, my youngest for a swollen painful knee. It was the third visit to a medical professional to find out what was wrong.  She was in horrendous pain. They gave her pain meds but could not find what was wrong. Went to an orthopedic doctor yesterday and she was diagnosed within minutes of him coming in. She has a hairline contusion fracture to her kneecap.  She hit it three weeks ago on our steps but hardly cried. 4 doctors, it took 4 doctors because he said it is hard to see. She is now being treated appropriately.  I have never seen one of my children in as much pain as my sweet girl endured. We had to go to the ER to finally get something that worked. The doctor at the ER said to the nurse, give her something. It was hearbreaking to watch and no matter what we had tried up to that point per doctor orders it hadn't worked. None of them thought she "should be in that much pain". Well hello, yes, she had every right to be in that much pain.  She had a fracture and was using that leg.  The ortho doctor said keep her off it until the pain resides and swelling is gone. Keep her braced and then slowly use as long as no pain. A doctor with a brain! I get it is hard to see a break that small. But when a parent tells you how much pain a child has, do something. Apparently the urgent care doesn't give out pain meds??  In any case she is better now and not in horrendous pain.

LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Apr. 8, 2014 at 11:47 AM
Yes. He was 8 days old, I woke up to change his diaper and his circumcision was gushing blood. I freaked, and of course forgot all my medical training. It turned out to be nothing serious and just a little tear. I felt like an idiot for taking him, but oh well.
hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Apr. 8, 2014 at 12:56 PM

my youngest when he knocked his tooth in (blood everywhere)

my youngest for bronchitis twice, once he rushed to the hospital.  It was 3 in the morning, and I had no car and he wasn't breathing

My 2nd child because she split her lip open and it was around 7pm, also a broke elbow

My oldest because she had strep, high fever and it was night time also

.Bad.Wolf.
by Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 1:07 PM
1st kid - 1) pneumonia when she was 2.

2nd kid - never

3rd kid - 1) fell while holding keys & stabbed himself in the forehead.
2) bad ear infection.
3) had a VERY bad sprained ankle & needed a cast.

4th kid - 1) tried to swallow piece of a wrench & it got stuck in her esophagus, she was transferred to a bigger hospital so they could get it out.

2) Fell over the banister & landed on our concrete basement floor, had a concussion, a cut (stapled) & later they noticed a small bleed so she was sent to a bigger hospital overnight for observation. All of these problems were right above her left ear, where her head hit. She'll have a scar.
143myboys9496
by Suzzanne on Apr. 8, 2014 at 1:48 PM

Yes, my older son..OMG...let me see...3 or 4 times? Broken arm, bruised hip, fractured nose..appendix, oh and a few days later because he was throwing up and running fevers..and he licked the ice pole at Story Land on vacation, began running a fever and puking...they gave him Motrin and IV fluids..fixed him right up. So I guess 6 times. 

Younger son, hmm..as a baby for a horrid ear infection. They gave him IV fluids and IV antibiotics, he broke his foot in 5th grade, and when I broke his finger..I think he was 7th or 8th grade. (we were horsing around). And when he got his concussion in 9th grade. Oh and when he tripped and fell into a tree, his earring cut his earlobe so bad he needed stitches. OH AAANND when he was sick, he couldn't breath going up and down the stairs, took him to the ER, he was diagnosed with bronchitis. He was hospitalized for a T&A when he was 5 but that wasn't an ER visit. 

What was that 6 times? 

143myboys9496
by Suzzanne on Apr. 8, 2014 at 1:51 PM

OMG...I sort of wish I didn't answer this...some of those I forgot....I didn't realize there had been so many ER visits...

WHEW! I need to sit down..LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN