Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Easter sides with ham?

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2014 at 8:13 AM
  • 20 Replies

Whats on you Easter Dinner menu? I need ideas for sides? Do you have a favorite you do?

We are doing a ham and probably potatoes. What else do you all do?

shopping

~Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.

by on Apr. 11, 2014 at 8:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
143myboys9496
by Suzzanne on Apr. 11, 2014 at 9:19 AM

We don't do ham. My mother makes raviolis, and we're going to my brother's so we'll have some sort of beef...

lucky2Beeme
by Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 9:33 AM

I don't have my menu yet. Some sides I serve with ham. Au gratin potatoes, garlic mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole, broccoli/rice/ cheese casserole, peas or green beans, corn.

jessi2girls
by Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 9:35 AM

We are doing ham.

sides are:

homemade mac and cheese, asparagus, dinner rolls, deviled eggs, maybe baked beans or some type of potato (scalloped, twiced baked, or mashed, typically). 

Momofmenagerie
by Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 9:41 AM
My grandmother used to do an Egg salad when we were all done with the hiding and stuff. We all hit to pick two favs, discard any cracked ones and help her peel them for the salad.

Now I dislike hard boiled eggs, BUT it was so much fun because the dye would still be on the actual egg so when she got done, it was absolutely beautiful to see in her clear glass bowl.

This is more of a fond memory / possible idea than what will be at our table, but the question brought it to mind and I felt like sharing... And thanks for letting me remember those moments.
EmptyNestMama
by Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 10:40 AM

Quoting jessi2girls:

We are doing ham.

sides are:

homemade mac and cheese, asparagus, dinner rolls, deviled eggs, maybe baked beans or some type of potato (scalloped, twiced baked, or mashed, typically). 

Asparagus sounds yummy and its cheap now too! How do you cook yours? 

EmptyNestMama
by Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 10:42 AM

That sounds wonderful. And what a great memory to share! Thank you!  What all does she put in the egg salad? 

Quoting Momofmenagerie: My grandmother used to do an Egg salad when we were all done with the hiding and stuff. We all hit to pick two favs, discard any cracked ones and help her peel them for the salad. Now I dislike hard boiled eggs, BUT it was so much fun because the dye would still be on the actual egg so when she got done, it was absolutely beautiful to see in her clear glass bowl. This is more of a fond memory / possible idea than what will be at our table, but the question brought it to mind and I felt like sharing... And thanks for letting me remember those moments.

jessi2girls
by Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Quoting EmptyNestMama:

Quoting jessi2girls:

We are doing ham.

sides are:

Asparagus sounds yummy and its cheap now too! How do you cook yours? 

I don't.. my mom typically cooks most of Easter dinner for the family, lol.  I might help with the mac and cheese, and deviled eggs.. and definitely do dessert (my mom's a great chef, but can't bake, and I'm the opposite, lol) I personally don't like asparagus so have no idea how to cook it, lol. 

paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on Apr. 11, 2014 at 11:03 AM
1 mom liked this

That's just what we're going to have,lol.

Quoting jessi2girls:

We are doing ham.

sides are:

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

Momofmenagerie
by Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 11:30 AM
All I remember for sure is the paprika, pepper, maybe mayo? But not a lot. Basically it was like deviled eggs but salad form. It's close to 15 yrs since she passed, so that part is a little harder to recall. But all the white was tinted with pinks, blues, yellows , greens.... So neat that she knew how to do that!

Quoting EmptyNestMama:

That sounds wonderful. And what a great memory to share! Thank you!  What all does she put in the egg salad? 

Quoting Momofmenagerie: My grandmother used to do an Egg salad when we were all done with the hiding and stuff. We all hit to pick two favs, discard any cracked ones and help her peel them for the salad.

Now I dislike hard boiled eggs, BUT it was so much fun because the dye would still be on the actual egg so when she got done, it was absolutely beautiful to see in her clear glass bowl.

This is more of a fond memory / possible idea than what will be at our table, but the question brought it to mind and I felt like sharing... And thanks for letting me remember those moments.

PrincessAsmommy
by on Apr. 11, 2014 at 12:18 PM

We're having a ham with either scalloped or mashed potatoes, green bean casserole and a salad.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)