Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Do you consider this child abuse?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Do you consider that child abuse?

Options:

Yes it is and it should be illegal.

It should be illegal but I wouldn't call it child abuse.

I don't see anything wrong with it.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 268

View Results

I saw this in another group. What do you think?

Stop smoking with your innocent children in the car. It's abusive and neglectful to force innocent kids to breathe in your posion and destroy their body. Are you that selfish that you can not wait until you reach your destination so that you can step away from your children and fulfill your toxic addiction? You don't piss and shit in the Car as well, do you? So if you would stop the car and get out to relieve yourself, you should stop the car and get out to smoke your cancer stick!!!

Stop the child abuse!!!!

Abuse: to treat in a harmful, injurious, or offensive way

by on Apr. 15, 2014 at 6:53 PM
Replies (11-20):
chariot71226
by New Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 8:46 AM

I don't think it's abuse but I do think it's wrong.  I've been a passenger in a car where the driver was chain smoking during a road trip. I was sick by the time we got there. You can't get away from it in the car.

marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 9:07 AM
1 mom liked this
My fathere smoked in the car, in the house, in the bed. (This was in the 60's) and guess what? None of his children smoke, none of us have lung, mouth, or throat cancer. Actually everyone is very healthy. My mother who was around it the longest had no signs of damage to her lungs upon her death. She died of an anurysm.

So who exactly is it doing irreversible damage too?

Do neither of you know what irreversible means?

Quoting paganbaby:

This.

Quoting spunknsass:

Yes, it's abuse. It causes irreversible damage to the child's developing lungs, not to mention how selfish it is.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
spunknsass
by on Apr. 16, 2014 at 5:05 PM
4 moms liked this

Just because it didn't happen in your family, doesn't mean it doesn't happen regularly to kids exposed to second-hand smoke.

Quoting marchantmom06: My fathere smoked in the car, in the house, in the bed. (This was in the 60's) and guess what? None of his children smoke, none of us have lung, mouth, or throat cancer. Actually everyone is very healthy. My mother who was around it the longest had no signs of damage to her lungs upon her death. She died of an anurysm. So who exactly is it doing irreversible damage too? Do neither of you know what irreversible means?
Quoting paganbaby:

This.

Quoting spunknsass:

Yes, it's abuse. It causes irreversible damage to the child's developing lungs, not to mention how selfish it is.

paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on Apr. 16, 2014 at 5:53 PM

So not child abuse, but do you think it's wrong for parents to do it?

Quoting EireLass: Nah

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on Apr. 16, 2014 at 5:58 PM
2 moms liked this

Your dad sounds like a real peach.

I smoked for a while when my dd was small and I never had the urge to do it in front of her or even in the house if she was home. Ignoring all the health risks that come with it, cigarette smoke stinks. Why would anyone want to subject other people, their own children no less, to that funk?

As for everyone being healthy and not affected; you're an intelligent woman. I know this from arguing with you so much,lol. Do you honestly feel your anecdotal evidence stands up to years of research that says otherwise??

Quoting marchantmom06: My fathere smoked in the car, in the house, in the bed. (This was in the 60's) and guess what? None of his children smoke, none of us have lung, mouth, or throat cancer. Actually everyone is very healthy. My mother who was around it the longest had no signs of damage to her lungs upon her death. She died of an anurysm. So who exactly is it doing irreversible damage too? Do neither of you know what irreversible means?
Quoting paganbaby:

This.

Quoting spunknsass:

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on Apr. 16, 2014 at 6:01 PM

Oh that is so gross! Did you ask them to stop smoking?

Quoting chariot71226:

I don't think it's abuse but I do think it's wrong.  I've been a passenger in a car where the driver was chain smoking during a road trip. I was sick by the time we got there. You can't get away from it in the car.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

EireLass
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 6:27 PM
I wouldn't do it. ButmI'm also not a smoker.
I know alot of people who smoked around their kids with no ill effects.

I
Quoting paganbaby:

So not child abuse, but do you think it's wrong for parents to do it?

Quoting EireLass: Nah

EireLass
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 6:33 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm the only one out of 12 kids that didn't smoke. Nobody has ill effects from it. All our kids....ages 52 to 22....about 35 of them.....no ill effects.
You always have to pay attention to who does the research, and who pays for it. They always get the results they want.
Quoting spunknsass:

Just because it didn't happen in your family, doesn't mean it doesn't happen regularly to kids exposed to second-hand smoke.

Quoting marchantmom06: My fathere smoked in the car, in the house, in the bed. (This was in the 60's) and guess what? None of his children smoke, none of us have lung, mouth, or throat cancer. Actually everyone is very healthy. My mother who was around it the longest had no signs of damage to her lungs upon her death. She died of an anurysm.

So who exactly is it doing irreversible damage too?

Do neither of you know what irreversible means?

Quoting paganbaby:

This.

Quoting spunknsass:

spunknsass
by on Apr. 16, 2014 at 6:45 PM

I don't believe that there are "no ill effects." I have several friends and family who were exposed to second-hand smoke, over 60% of them have severe asthma and other issues, none were exempt from the effects. I've seen what it does first hand to children and adults who were exposed as children. 

Quoting EireLass: I'm the only one out of 12 kids that didn't smoke. Nobody has ill effects from it. All our kids....ages 52 to 22....about 35 of them.....no ill effects. You always have to pay attention to who does the research, and who pays for it. They always get the results they want.
Quoting spunknsass:

Quoting paganbaby:

This.

Quoting spunknsass:

lovinmykiddo07
by Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 6:46 PM
3 moms liked this
As someone who suffers from breathing complications due to second hand smoke, yes, It should be illegal. Smoke if you want, but don't put your babies at risk.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)