Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Do you consider this child abuse?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Do you consider that child abuse?

Options:

Yes it is and it should be illegal.

It should be illegal but I wouldn't call it child abuse.

I don't see anything wrong with it.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 268

View Results

I saw this in another group. What do you think?

Stop smoking with your innocent children in the car. It's abusive and neglectful to force innocent kids to breathe in your posion and destroy their body. Are you that selfish that you can not wait until you reach your destination so that you can step away from your children and fulfill your toxic addiction? You don't piss and shit in the Car as well, do you? So if you would stop the car and get out to relieve yourself, you should stop the car and get out to smoke your cancer stick!!!

Stop the child abuse!!!!

Abuse: to treat in a harmful, injurious, or offensive way

by on Apr. 15, 2014 at 6:53 PM
Replies (141-148):
EireLass
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 3:28 PM
So do you see the rediculous?
You're (general) stating how your kids will be as adults.....basically on a hope.
We have kids in their 30s, yet you're (general) arguing that our way is a fail.
Really?
Quoting paganbaby:

Mine are 14, 9 and 7 and I take the same approach.

Quoting EireLass: How old are your kids?
Quoting gkcathey:

You're not cleaning up anything after me, really.  I think it's interesting that you assume that not hitting my child is going to create an entitled, mooching, useless adult.  Or that because I choose to have nobody in my home hit each other, we have no rules, no consequences and we coddle our child.   That narrow thinking baffles me. 

Quoting marchantmom06: And I bet he is one that walks around thinking he is better than everyone with his nose in the air. Spanking isn't abuse, sorry you are to ignorant to comprehend that. And yes lack of discipline is the reason this country has fallen to shit. It is lazy parenting like you use that cause kids to run wild because they know there are no real consequences. Out of our 8 children, 3 of them adults, I think we have used spanking as a punishment maybe a total of 10 times. They know how to respect and honor their parents, but there are times when they step outside that line and they have to face real consequences. They also get physical punishments. Digging holes and refilling them, painting the side of a barn, picking up horse dung, bathing and drying the horses, ect. When people like yourself become to afraid to actually parent, that is when we get all the mooches, the druggies, the welfare mommas. I spend my life cleaning up the messes of parents like you.
Quoting gkcathey:

I've seen a lot of excuses for hitting your children over the years, but I've never seen "welfare on the steady climb" as a reason for it....interesting spin.  We are financially stable and have never received any public assistance, so I'm pretty sure that my not choosing to hit my child won't have any impact on how many people apply for food stamps or teen pregnancy.  That's a pretty loose argument, really. 

And, I find it very sad that you have so little regard and respect for your children that you think talking to them is a waste of time.  I have spoken to my son with dignity and respect since the day he was born - nobody hits anyone in our home. 

Quoting marchantmom06: Yet millions of parents did it for many years and raised kids who graduated high school and college and didn't come home multiple times with multiple children who have multiple baby daddies, and welfare is on the steady climb. I think "talking" to your child is lazy slack ass parenting. Spanking is not only effective, it teaches respect and how to obey. Maybe if so many parent like yourself were afraid of your children and hurting their little egos we would no have such an amazing cluster fuck of bad kids running around.
Quoting gkcathey:

Spanking and washing their mouth out with soap are not only abuse, they are examples of slack ass, lazy parenting. 

Quoting marchantmom06: Spankings, washing mouths with soap, hell making kids play outside.
Quoting paganbaby:

Like what?

Quoting marchantmom06: Not abuse. But many things aren't actually abuse that people think are now a days.

gkcathey
by New Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 3:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Interesting....I didn't say your way was a failure.  All I've ever said is that we choose not to hit anyone in our house.  I can't tell you what my son will be like in his 30's, but I can tell you that I was spanked and I know the affect that it had on me.  Because of that, we chose to never hit our children and chose to use other disciplines.

I'm not a young mom who wants to be friends with her child, either.  I was 36 when I had my first.  We are a strict household and we abide by rules.  We set high expectations for our child and hold him responsible for his actions.  I'm sure you do the same....we just chose to never hit ours.  I don't know why it bothers people so much when I say that I never hit my child....some of you have gotten so defensive; and all I've ever said is "if you hit your children, own it. We chose not to".

Quoting EireLass: So do you see the rediculous? You're (general) stating how your kids will be as adults.....basically on a hope. We have kids in their 30s, yet you're (general) arguing that our way is a fail. Really?
Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting gkcathey:

You're not cleaning up anything after me, really.  I think it's interesting that you assume that not hitting my child is going to create an entitled, mooching, useless adult.  Or that because I choose to have nobody in my home hit each other, we have no rules, no consequences and we coddle our child.   That narrow thinking baffles me. 

Quoting marchantmom06: And I bet he is one that walks around thinking he is better than everyone with his nose in the air. Spanking isn't abuse, sorry you are to ignorant to comprehend that. And yes lack of discipline is the reason this country has fallen to shit. It is lazy parenting like you use that cause kids to run wild because they know there are no real consequences. Out of our 8 children, 3 of them adults, I think we have used spanking as a punishment maybe a total of 10 times. They know how to respect and honor their parents, but there are times when they step outside that line and they have to face real consequences. They also get physical punishments. Digging holes and refilling them, painting the side of a barn, picking up horse dung, bathing and drying the horses, ect. When people like yourself become to afraid to actually parent, that is when we get all the mooches, the druggies, the welfare mommas. I spend my life cleaning up the messes of parents like you.
Quoting gkcathey:

I've seen a lot of excuses for hitting your children over the years, but I've never seen "welfare on the steady climb" as a reason for it....interesting spin.  We are financially stable and have never received any public assistance, so I'm pretty sure that my not choosing to hit my child won't have any impact on how many people apply for food stamps or teen pregnancy.  That's a pretty loose argument, really. 

And, I find it very sad that you have so little regard and respect for your children that you think talking to them is a waste of time.  I have spoken to my son with dignity and respect since the day he was born - nobody hits anyone in our home. 

Quoting marchantmom06: Yet millions of parents did it for many years and raised kids who graduated high school and college and didn't come home multiple times with multiple children who have multiple baby daddies, and welfare is on the steady climb. I think "talking" to your child is lazy slack ass parenting. Spanking is not only effective, it teaches respect and how to obey. Maybe if so many parent like yourself were afraid of your children and hurting their little egos we would no have such an amazing cluster fuck of bad kids running around.
Quoting gkcathey:

Spanking and washing their mouth out with soap are not only abuse, they are examples of slack ass, lazy parenting. 

Quoting marchantmom06: Spankings, washing mouths with soap, hell making kids play outside.
Quoting paganbaby:

Like what?

Quoting marchantmom06: Not abuse. But many things aren't actually abuse that people think are now a days.

EireLass
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 5:59 PM
You've stated spanking my child is slack-assed, lazy parenting. This is probably where the offense is, and why we would act defensively. Name calling is an immature thing.
Neither I nor my 7 sibs were spanked....we know the effect it had on us....overall, not a good one. Because of this, we all chose to spank. None of our kids grew to be bullies, hitting other kids, never their parents, and are not abusive adults. When you do it mindfully, there is a very positive outcome.
Quoting gkcathey:

Interesting....I didn't say your way was a failure.  All I've ever said is that we choose not to hit anyone in our house.  I can't tell you what my son will be like in his 30's, but I can tell you that I was spanked and I know the affect that it had on me.  Because of that, we chose to never hit our children and chose to use other disciplines.

I'm not a young mom who wants to be friends with her child, either.  I was 36 when I had my first.  We are a strict household and we abide by rules.  We set high expectations for our child and hold him responsible for his actions.  I'm sure you do the same....we just chose to never hit ours.  I don't know why it bothers people so much when I say that I never hit my child....some of you have gotten so defensive; and all I've ever said is "if you hit your children, own it. We chose not to".

Quoting EireLass: So do you see the rediculous? You're (general) stating how your kids will be as adults.....basically on a hope. We have kids in their 30s, yet you're (general) arguing that our way is a fail. Really?
Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting gkcathey:

Quoting gkcathey:

Quoting gkcathey:

Quoting paganbaby:

Like what?

hankbugsmama2
by Member on Apr. 19, 2014 at 1:38 PM
1 mom liked this
I have a lot lung issues thanks to my parents smoking around me so I do completely agree that it is abusive and neglectful. Anything that can cause the health issues I have if they can be avoided should be.
rainboz
by New Member on Apr. 19, 2014 at 8:54 PM
I don't now if its child abuse but it certainly is inconsiderate and you should care about what you do around your children if you love them.
Linda_Runs
by on Apr. 20, 2014 at 7:18 AM

In most of Canada (if not all) smoking in a vehicle with children under 18 is illegal.  One of the best laws for kids in the last few years in my opinion.

TAG9lbs
by Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 12:17 PM
I question the smoking abuse myself. I know a woman that smoked during all 4 of her pregnancies. Only the 3rd one needed the albuterol for 3 months after his first b-day. I never smoked before or during my pregnancy, yet my ds needed the albuterol inhaler for 9months to a year. WTF?
SpiritFortress
by Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 8:12 PM

Yes, it is abuse. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)