Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Do you consider this child abuse?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Do you consider that child abuse?

Options:

Yes it is and it should be illegal.

It should be illegal but I wouldn't call it child abuse.

I don't see anything wrong with it.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 268

View Results

I saw this in another group. What do you think?

Stop smoking with your innocent children in the car. It's abusive and neglectful to force innocent kids to breathe in your posion and destroy their body. Are you that selfish that you can not wait until you reach your destination so that you can step away from your children and fulfill your toxic addiction? You don't piss and shit in the Car as well, do you? So if you would stop the car and get out to relieve yourself, you should stop the car and get out to smoke your cancer stick!!!

Stop the child abuse!!!!

Abuse: to treat in a harmful, injurious, or offensive way

by on Apr. 15, 2014 at 6:53 PM
Replies (21-30):
hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Apr. 16, 2014 at 6:53 PM

I don't think it's abuse

marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 7:14 PM
My dad is an amazing man. He also smoked a pipe. Again this was almost 50 years ago, before big gov started scaring people about nothing.

I have read many medical journals. I know what smoking can do, I also know that you have to have a predisposition for certain diseases, such as cancer. So no I do not think smoking around your child is abuse. I think people want to run around making a hype (much like the vaxing and autism) from things that happen to a small number of people.

Quoting paganbaby:

Your dad sounds like a real peach.

I smoked for a while when my dd was small and I never had the urge to do it in front of her or even in the house if she was home. Ignoring all the health risks that come with it, cigarette smoke stinks. Why would anyone want to subject other people, their own children no less, to that funk?

As for everyone being healthy and not affected; you're an intelligent woman. I know this from arguing with you so much,lol. Do you honestly feel your anecdotal evidence stands up to years of research that says otherwise??

Quoting marchantmom06: My fathere smoked in the car, in the house, in the bed. (This was in the 60's) and guess what? None of his children smoke, none of us have lung, mouth, or throat cancer. Actually everyone is very healthy. My mother who was around it the longest had no signs of damage to her lungs upon her death. She died of an anurysm.

So who exactly is it doing irreversible damage too?

Do neither of you know what irreversible means?

Quoting paganbaby:

This.

Quoting spunknsass:

Yes, it's abuse. It causes irreversible damage to the child's developing lungs, not to mention how selfish it is.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 7:21 PM
If you'd actual educate yourself you'd know that's not true. How many people do you think die from lung cancer each year?
How many kids die from second hand smoke? I think once you do some actual research you'd find out that you have been mislead about a lot of things.

Quoting spunknsass:

Just because it didn't happen in your family, doesn't mean it doesn't happen regularly to kids exposed to second-hand smoke.

Quoting marchantmom06: My fathere smoked in the car, in the house, in the bed. (This was in the 60's) and guess what? None of his children smoke, none of us have lung, mouth, or throat cancer. Actually everyone is very healthy. My mother who was around it the longest had no signs of damage to her lungs upon her death. She died of an anurysm.

Quoting paganbaby:

This.

Quoting spunknsass:

Yes, it's abuse. It causes irreversible damage to the child's developing lungs, not to mention how selfish it is.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EireLass
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 8:10 PM
You've seen what it does. I've seen what it hasn't done.
We must be a huge crowd of lucky people.

Quoting spunknsass:

I don't believe that there are "no ill effects." I have several friends and family who were exposed to second-hand smoke, over 60% of them have severe asthma and other issues, none were exempt from the effects. I've seen what it does first hand to children and adults who were exposed as children. 

Quoting EireLass: I'm the only one out of 12 kids that didn't smoke. Nobody has ill effects from it. All our kids....ages 52 to 22....about 35 of them.....no ill effects.
You always have to pay attention to who does the research, and who pays for it. They always get the results they want.
Quoting spunknsass:

Just because it didn't happen in your family, doesn't mean it doesn't happen regularly to kids exposed to second-hand smoke.

Quoting paganbaby:

This.

Quoting spunknsass:

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 2:23 AM

I don't consider it abuse

alexgia
by Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 6:43 AM
1 mom liked this

it is illegal here.

bklynmama716
by on Apr. 17, 2014 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this
Well it's illegal to smoke in your car with children inside in NYC so yes I say it's abuse.. And I'm a smoker.. But I still would never smoke in such a small enclosed place with my kid around.
notjstanothrmom
by Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 10:10 AM

I think it's incredibely selfish and gross... but not child abuse. 

srm8824
by on Apr. 17, 2014 at 10:13 AM

I don't necessarily think it's child abuse. I don't see taking away their children or anything.

That being said, it's disgusting and I don't know why anyone would subject their child to secondhand smoke. Maybe it's just a general lack of education? I'm not sure.

bklynmama716
by on Apr. 17, 2014 at 10:13 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes, you should consider yourselves very lucky! My fathers whole side of the family died of lung cancer.. It was like one right after the other. All smokers.. It's very painful and a horrible way to die.

Quoting EireLass: You've seen what it does. I've seen what it hasn't done.
We must be a huge crowd of lucky people.

Quoting spunknsass:

I don't believe that there are "no ill effects." I have several friends and family who were exposed to second-hand smoke, over 60% of them have severe asthma and other issues, none were exempt from the effects. I've seen what it does first hand to children and adults who were exposed as children. 

Quoting EireLass: I'm the only one out of 12 kids that didn't smoke. Nobody has ill effects from it. All our kids....ages 52 to 22....about 35 of them.....no ill effects.
You always have to pay attention to who does the research, and who pays for it. They always get the results they want.
Quoting spunknsass:

Quoting paganbaby:

This.

Quoting spunknsass:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)