Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Do you consider this child abuse?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Do you consider that child abuse?

Options:

Yes it is and it should be illegal.

It should be illegal but I wouldn't call it child abuse.

I don't see anything wrong with it.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 268

View Results

I saw this in another group. What do you think?

Stop smoking with your innocent children in the car. It's abusive and neglectful to force innocent kids to breathe in your posion and destroy their body. Are you that selfish that you can not wait until you reach your destination so that you can step away from your children and fulfill your toxic addiction? You don't piss and shit in the Car as well, do you? So if you would stop the car and get out to relieve yourself, you should stop the car and get out to smoke your cancer stick!!!

Stop the child abuse!!!!

Abuse: to treat in a harmful, injurious, or offensive way

by on Apr. 15, 2014 at 6:53 PM
Replies (31-40):
FrumpyMama
by Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it's abusive to put anyone in a position where they aren't in control of the what is going on. Children who are strapped into a car seat who cannot roll down the windows for fresh air have no choice but to inhale second hand smoke.  If it's a situation where another adult would say or do something about it, then I consider it abusive to those who cannot speak for themselves. I have seen so many parents who smoke with tiny children who are asthmatic or sick all the time with respitory issues. It's not fair to make the children suffer when the parent can simply go outside and smoke.

Mommy4000
by Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Abuse? Maybe not. Negligence? Sure, it's certainly a form of negligence, and usually negligence caused by ignorance. I get the addiction of smoking entirely, and I don't blame those that cannot quit, but it does make sense to move away from children and other people if you need to smoke. I think though, that we could say the same about any drug. Addiction, is often immune to common sense.

Emilyx3
by on Apr. 17, 2014 at 10:18 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm a smoker and I would never subject my child to it. I go outside. I change my clothes. I never smoke in the car.
Anyone who does, IMHO, is disgusting.
xsmum
by on Apr. 17, 2014 at 10:20 AM
In my state its illegal and consider child abuse (: with I'm all for that
the3Rs
by on Apr. 17, 2014 at 10:31 AM

I do believe it is abuse.

gkcathey
by New Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 10:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Spanking and washing their mouth out with soap are not only abuse, they are examples of slack ass, lazy parenting. 

Quoting marchantmom06: Spankings, washing mouths with soap, hell making kids play outside.
Quoting paganbaby:

Like what?

Quoting marchantmom06: Not abuse. But many things aren't actually abuse that people think are now a days.

LilyofPhilly
by on Apr. 17, 2014 at 10:40 AM

Yes, of course it's abuse. We know that second hand smoke is just as bad as or worse than smoking, with many of the same health risks. Likewise, all that smoking in the car leads to a build up of toxic chemicals (third hand smoke), which is very dangerous to children. 

Wouldn't you think it was abusive if a parent gave her child a cigarette to put in her mouth and smoke? What's the difference?

sugarcrisp
by on Apr. 17, 2014 at 10:40 AM
1 mom liked this

I had asthma as a kid. Guess a common denominator? My mother's boyfriend, who we lived with, smoked. When we moved, within a year I was 80% better. I didn't have any breathing problems until I picked up smoking myself. Breathing  problems are pretty much gone once again and, lookie there- I no longer smoke.

For every anecdotal piece of evidence that says it's fine, there's another that says it isn't. There are various studies that say it's unhealthy and even dangerous. Is every second-hand smoke victim going to get sick? Nope, and neither is every smoker. But should that be a risk one is willing to take because they 'must' have their cancer sticks?

Yes- it is abuse. It is one thing to smoke in a vehicle with another adult who is okay with it, and a completely other thing to smoke in the vehicle with any person who is unable to speak up and say NO.

Not all abuse results in blood and bruises.

EarlGrayHot
by on Apr. 17, 2014 at 10:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Of course it is.  You're doing somehting harful around a child and endangering him or her.  People may want to say it's not abuse because people did it all the time years ago but it is.  Don't try to sugar coat endangering a child. 

.anonymous
by on Apr. 17, 2014 at 10:47 AM
It's definitely endangerment... on the brink of abuse.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN