Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Not gaining weight

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2014 at 9:40 PM
  • 17 Replies
My 2 yr old has stopped gaining weight. Dealt with this when she was 9 months old then she started gaining it fast. Now she hasnt gained a pound n almost 4 months. She weighs 27 lbs which idk if thats even normal for a 2 yr old. Any advice welcome
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 17, 2014 at 9:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Shadow17
by on Apr. 17, 2014 at 10:07 PM

Talk to her dr, it may be a problem, it may not. My daughter is 3 and only weighs 29 lbs. Some kids gain gradually, some in spurts, but it's up to the dr to make sure there isn't a medical reason for it. My daughter has Downs and will always be small, funny since she was 9 lbs 1 oz at birth, but she also has compensated hypothyroidism. It means that her pituitary gland is working, just too hard. And hypothyroidism can effect weight gain. 

mamasheart2012
by Donna on Apr. 17, 2014 at 10:27 PM
Her dr says to put her on a high sugar/high carb diet like we did before but i think thats to unhealthy at this stage. Idk maybe im being to health concious

Quoting Shadow17:

Talk to her dr, it may be a problem, it may not. My daughter is 3 and only weighs 29 lbs. Some kids gain gradually, some in spurts, but it's up to the dr to make sure there isn't a medical reason for it. My daughter has Downs and will always be small, funny since she was 9 lbs 1 oz at birth, but she also has compensated hypothyroidism. It means that her pituitary gland is working, just too hard. And hypothyroidism can effect weight gain. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shadow17
by on Apr. 17, 2014 at 10:39 PM

Maybe he thinks she needs the extra calories, but a quick blood test can sometime get to the root of the problem. My oldest was terrible about gaining weight, we were always adding cheese and creams to his food, yet now as an adult he's just fine. The sugar is fine, just brush her teeth more often if it worries you, obviously you don't have to worry about her weight going in the other direction just yet.

mamasheart2012
by Donna on Apr. 17, 2014 at 10:48 PM
True that! I just worry cause diabetes runs in my family. Im going to make an appt tomorrow and have him check her thyroid and stuff

Quoting Shadow17:

Maybe he thinks she needs the extra calories, but a quick blood test can sometime get to the root of the problem. My oldest was terrible about gaining weight, we were always adding cheese and creams to his food, yet now as an adult he's just fine. The sugar is fine, just brush her teeth more often if it worries you, obviously you don't have to worry about her weight going in the other direction just yet.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamafor65roses
by New Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 11:06 PM

To put it honestly... My duaghter has Cystic Fibrosis. It's extremely hard for her to gain weight. She has to take medicine, plus she has a gtube. (Feeding pump). 2011-12, we struggled to get her to gain weight. The doctor said "Feed her calories." She started eating butter during a hospitalization, and when I took it away her doctor said "Let her have it, it's calories." No, not giving her butter to eat. However, she did eat random unhealthy calories for a while in a desperate attempt to gain weight. Nothing. She didn't gain an ounce. Even with her pump. (Seriously).

So.. I took a new approach. Healthy eating. We eat purely healthy, with an occasional treat.

August 2012, her BMI was <3%! August 2013, her BMI was 45%! All that I have done was provide her healthier food.

If you like spinach, and can get her to eat this.. My daughter loves it. She's always asking about it. 

http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/main-course/chicken/chicken-and-green-rice.html?p=7 The rice seriously taste like chicken flavored rice... and the meal is over 400 calories. I'm not a fan for the taste of spinach, I only like it for its nutrients, but this is seriously good.

I don't think you should feed her unhealthy calories just because the doctor says to.. Been there/done that. Glad I changed the situation. 

Check out the fat content in nuts, find your highest calorie nuts. As long as she's not allergic and is able to eat them. Bananas, and peanut butter. (Again, as long as she's able). Avacados are high in calorie. I have more ideas, but I think I wrote out enough. I'm not even sure if this will be useful. lol

Quoting mamasheart2012: Her dr says to put her on a high sugar/high carb diet like we did before but i think thats to unhealthy at this stage. Idk maybe im being to health concious
Quoting Shadow17:

mamasheart2012
by Donna on Apr. 18, 2014 at 10:43 PM
1 mom liked this
She doesnt like spinich but loves kale so she gets lots of that. Also she eats almonds and cashews(so glad she didnt inherit my allergy to them!) Shes quite active loves fries and baked chicken with my own lemon cilantro and parsly sauce. Treats are rare. Soda almost never. Lots of water and 100% juice. Will try her on avacodos. Thanks for the tips!

Quoting mamafor65roses:

To put it honestly... My duaghter has Cystic Fibrosis. It's extremely hard for her to gain weight. She has to take medicine, plus she has a gtube. (Feeding pump). 2011-12, we struggled to get her to gain weight. The doctor said "Feed her calories." She started eating butter during a hospitalization, and when I took it away her doctor said "Let her have it, it's calories." No, not giving her butter to eat. However, she did eat random unhealthy calories for a while in a desperate attempt to gain weight. Nothing. She didn't gain an ounce. Even with her pump. (Seriously).

So.. I took a new approach. Healthy eating. We eat purely healthy, with an occasional treat.

August 2012, her BMI was <3%! August 2013, her BMI was 45%! All that I have done was provide her healthier food.

If you like spinach, and can get her to eat this.. My daughter loves it. She's always asking about it. 

http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/main-course/chicken/chicken-and-green-rice.html?p=7 The rice seriously taste like chicken flavored rice... and the meal is over 400 calories. I'm not a fan for the taste of spinach, I only like it for its nutrients, but this is seriously good.

I don't think you should feed her unhealthy calories just because the doctor says to.. Been there/done that. Glad I changed the situation. 

Check out the fat content in nuts, find your highest calorie nuts. As long as she's not allergic and is able to eat them. Bananas, and peanut butter. (Again, as long as she's able). Avacados are high in calorie. I have more ideas, but I think I wrote out enough. I'm not even sure if this will be useful. lol

Quoting mamasheart2012: Her dr says to put her on a high sugar/high carb diet like we did before but i think thats to unhealthy at this stage. Idk maybe im being to health concious

Quoting Shadow17:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Noni2319
by Chrissy on Apr. 19, 2014 at 10:36 AM
Is she still growing?
Noni2319
by Chrissy on Apr. 19, 2014 at 10:38 AM
Oh and maybe leave something out that she can munch on. I did that for my youngest. He wasn't gaining a lot but he was growing . I started leaving heathy snacks putt that he could munch on whenever. It helped.
mysticalmalissa
by Silver Member on Apr. 19, 2014 at 2:08 PM

I would talk to the doctor again.

mamasheart2012
by Donna on Apr. 19, 2014 at 9:32 PM
Shes growing in height just not putting on weight. I always have fruits and nuts out for her to snack on.

Quoting Noni2319: Is she still growing?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)