Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

If your kids start an activity, do you expect them to finish it even if they decide they don't like it?

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2014 at 12:50 PM
Amy
  • 14 Replies

Example: My daughter is in choir and she loves to sing but she hates her choir teacher because he doesn't warm the group up enough and she feels like he doesn't like her.  So she wants to quit choir even though she's been promoted to a higher choir (the performing choir) next year.  Would you allow her to quit or make her continue?

Or another example: Say your son wanted to play soccer so you signed him up for a team and half way through the season he decides he doesn't like it and wants to quit.  Would you let him?

by on Apr. 18, 2014 at 12:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Noni2319
by Chrissy on Apr. 18, 2014 at 1:03 PM
I would have them finish the season. Unless the coach was a mega evil ..... They made a commitment and they need to follow through. If they don't want to continue the next year then they can quit.

Last year the coach of one of the other teams was AWFUL. If my son has been put on her team I would have pulled him out if they wouldn't put him on another team.
mysticalmalissa
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 1:47 PM

I'm not sure how I would handle it with my youngest. I never had this situation with my two grown boys.

I guess it would depend on what the activity is.

gkcathey
by New Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 2:13 PM

If it's a sport, we finish the season - that's what is the right thing to do for the team.  If you don't want to sign up next season, then that's fine.  Last year he started taking band and playing the sax.  He was actually good at it and picked it up quickly.  He got bored with it, didn't practice and began forgetting to bring his instrument to school on band days.  We were renting the instrument, so I told him that he had 3 weeks - if he wasn't going to practice and remember, I would return it and he would have to quit.  He said it would be embarrassing to quit mid-year, but I said I wasn't going to bug and beg him to practice and it wasn't my responsibility to remind him to take the instrument.  In the next 3 weeks, he didn't forget and continued thru the year, but didn't want to continue this year so I allowed him to quit.  Finish what you start is more valuable than me badgering him to do something he doesn't want to do. 

hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Apr. 18, 2014 at 3:26 PM
I would make them finish
EireLass
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 6:28 PM
I made them finish the season or year. I made them aware that the rest of the team is counting on them.
cupcake_mom
by on Apr. 18, 2014 at 6:40 PM
They have to finish out the season.
bhow
by Member on Apr. 19, 2014 at 6:28 AM

I would just sorta dance around the soccer thing and work him through the rest of the season but, if he asks to join again I would remind him of how much he complained and tell him no.  I won't put myself through that ever again.  It is like self punishment when you let them rejoin after listening to a whole season of bitching.  Same for choir, do it and do not complain or stop going.

gabenmikeysmom
by on Apr. 19, 2014 at 6:35 AM
They have to finish the season. After that they never have to do said sport or activity again. It teaches them responsibility and to finish what they started.
143myboys9496
by Suzzanne on Apr. 19, 2014 at 9:31 AM

I always told my sons they were committed for the season. That they made a committment to be part of the team and to quit halfway though wasn't fair to the other kids. 

They knew what I was talking about, there were other kids that just quit halfway though, made it harder on everyone else. 

Besides, I wanted them to understand that you have to follow through even when something isn't fun anymore. 

And trust me, one year both boys were on the same team, with the 2nd worst coach (of 3) they've ever had. I don't know HOW this man was EVER allowed to continue from year to year.

LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Apr. 19, 2014 at 10:33 PM

My son is only 3 months, so we're a ways away from dealing with this. But I think our rule will be that he'll need to finish out the season/year/whatever and if he's still unhappy, we can talk about doing something else instead. I totally understand being unhappy doing something, but I also want him to keep his commitments and responsibilities. So I guess in both of your situations, I'd say no.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)