Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

***If your parents despised your current SO, would you ditch them or carry on with them despite the protests?***

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2014 at 6:38 AM
  • 23 Replies

That is the question of the day! :)

(I'm also genuinely curious.)

by on Apr. 19, 2014 at 6:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Apr. 19, 2014 at 6:45 AM

My mom and Grandmommy despise my husband.  With a passion.  Because he's not Daddy Warbucks, Mr. Moneybags, loaded...(I hope y'all get the picture!)

We obviously haven't let their hatred bother us.  We've been together for 17 years, married for almost 16.  I've given my mom 5 grandkids!!  The only grandkids she will have.  I'm an only child.

He loves me and the kids.  We aren't hurting for anything.  Well, not now at least.  Of course there's been rough years *much to my family's happiness*, and not so rough years. (Much to my family's dismay.)

However, we have each other, for better or worse...etc.  I wouldn't change that.

Melissa_anne
by on Apr. 19, 2014 at 7:19 AM

my mom and dad love my dh.  he is the only person i have ever dated that my parents liked.  

i guess it depends on how much i loved the guy and how he treated me on if i cared or not.  if my parents hated my DH i wouldn't care because he treats me good and is a great person and i love him

lovinmykiddo07
by Member on Apr. 19, 2014 at 7:22 AM

As much as I love my parents, I would stay with SO & hope that they eventually got to know him & would come around. My parents adore SO. He is an amazing man & takes such good care of his family. 

He does kind of have an odd since of humor, he reminds me of my step dad in that aspect. A lot of people don't get it, but I do, my parents do. Its all good. Except for everyone else in my family. My aunt I think just doesn't think anyone is good enough for me & my uncle is just an asshole. SO made a joke while I was in labor, Uncle took it the wrong  way & threatened to kick his ass. While I'm in labor with our first child. Sorry Uncle, you take your negativity elsewhere. 

mamasheart2012
by Donna on Apr. 19, 2014 at 8:16 AM
My parents hated my ex but i stayed with him for 5 yrs. 2 yrs ago 4 left him though due to the abuse. I dont have an SO now. Just taking care of my kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
143myboys9496
by Suzzanne on Apr. 19, 2014 at 9:23 AM

My mother hated my dh (and by virtue disliked (not didn't love) my sons) for 17 of our almost 23 yr marriage. 

I don't know what made her "change" her mind. We were in a super bad spot, I was ready to cut ties. I think it was my aunt, (her sister).

143myboys9496
by Suzzanne on Apr. 19, 2014 at 9:26 AM

Oh-and I've stayed with him. (even when my mother announced her and my dad took bets on how long I'd stay with him). 

All the bullshit my parents have pulled, dh has never held a grudge. He's wonderful!!

Noni2319
by Chrissy on Apr. 19, 2014 at 10:49 AM
I would stay with him. Fortunately my parents and family like him. On the flip side my mil does not like me and used to lie about me. So most of family didn't like me. some came around after we had our oldest. Most of the rest of them came around after one of his aunts called me a liar when I said the reason we weren't at his pap's 85th birthday was because we were never told when or where it was. And his mom walked over and said "oh yeah I probably should have told you guys about that" and I looked at his aunt and said " Told you" I really shouldn't have but I was pretty mad. That aunt has snubbed me since then. His mom has been better the last year though.
mysticalmalissa
by Silver Member on Apr. 19, 2014 at 1:59 PM

I wouldnt let what my Dad thought bother me and I wouldnt turn my back on him either. I would simply tell him to keep his opinions to himself.

little.worthen
by Tessie on Apr. 19, 2014 at 2:01 PM
I wouldn't care what they think. It's my husband, not theirs.
LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Apr. 19, 2014 at 7:36 PM
I started dating my DH in high school. We were both each other's "first," so I heard a lot of "how do you know he's the one?" "You need to date more" yada yada. I wouldn't go so for as to say they despise him, and now that we're married they get along just fine. But their reservations made no difference to me. I don't know if it would have been different if they had actually hated him.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)