Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Is this abusive?

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 12:41 PM
Amy
  • 21 Replies

A friend of mine was telling me that while she was giving her older child a bath recently, her baby was in her crib.  Baby started crying and mom stayed in the bathroom with the toddler to finish up bathtime before she went to get the baby.

Her inlaws have told her this is abusive to the baby and she shoudn't be left alone to cry, even in a safe place like her crib.

What do you think?  Is this abusive?

by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 12:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluebunnybabe
by Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 12:42 PM
2 moms liked this
No, it's not abusive. And I would tell the in laws to mind their own damn business.
143myboys9496
by Suzzanne on Apr. 21, 2014 at 12:55 PM

I don't think it's abusive. And they should keep their opinions to themselves.

MommyofSoso
by New Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Better she leave the baby cry for a couple minutes then leave the child alone in the tub and possibly drown. I don't see a problem with what she's doing.
mysticalmalissa
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 2:02 PM

In that situation, no its not.

PinkButterfly66
by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 2:15 PM

Mom cannot be in 2 places at once.  It is unsafe to leave a small child in the tub alone and the baby was safe in the crib.  I'm sure mom wasn't more than 5 minutes away from responding to the baby.  Her inlaws are nutcases.  Suppose mom was in the bathroom on the toilet and baby started to cry in her crib and there was no way that mom could get to baby right away because nature was calling.  Is that abusive too?

Ricksmama
by Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 5:29 PM
No way it's okay for babies to cry,if the baby was left in an unsafe condition that's totally different,but just because a family has a new member doesn't mean that other kids should be left out or forgotten about. The in-laws should mind there own business an let the mama do her thing
paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on Apr. 21, 2014 at 6:06 PM

Not abuse at all! I don't advocate leaving a baby to cry if you can help it but in that case i would have done the same.

Noni2319
by Chrissy on Apr. 21, 2014 at 6:42 PM
No, not at all. It would be unsafe to leave the toddler alone in the tub.
cjs702006
by Carla on Apr. 22, 2014 at 5:19 AM

Hell no it's not abusive! A baby needs to figure out a way to comfort themselves when they cry. If an adult comes in at every little sound a baby makes that child will become dependant on that and won't learn how to self soothe.

hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Apr. 22, 2014 at 8:19 PM

no

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN