Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

The needy neighbors

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2014 at 1:31 AM
  • 8 Replies

Ok, I have lived in a housing track for 10 years.  And I have the next door neighbors who come over and ask me for a glass of milk, a cup of sugar, an egg, etc... For a while they were coming so often I felt like their unpaid personal shopper.  At first I was just trying to be neighborly, but tonight I told them when they rang the door bell at 9:30 at night I did not have any milk.  I feel guilty.  What is up with my quilt feeling.  I have never asked them for anything, and never plan to.

by on Apr. 22, 2014 at 1:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
cjs702006
by Carla on Apr. 22, 2014 at 5:11 AM
2 moms liked this

You did the right thing. If they know they can get free food stuff from you, they will keep coming over until you put your foot down.

Noni2319
by Chrissy on Apr. 22, 2014 at 6:51 AM
1 mom liked this
You did the right thing. I know that feeling.

We have neighbors like that. She once came over and after 15 minutes of rambling at me so fast I couldn't say anything. Well, I could have but I didn't want to be rude. She asked if she could borrow SIX eggs. This was the first time I ever met the mother and I still don't know her name. The kids were over here asking for things all the time. Normally I had to say no because we didn't have it. Then I just started saying no because it just couldn't go on anymore.
mysticalmalissa
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 8:28 AM
2 moms liked this

You did the right thing.

143myboys9496
by Suzzanne on Apr. 22, 2014 at 12:55 PM
1 mom liked this

You did the right thing. Try not to feel guilty over it.

LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Apr. 22, 2014 at 3:54 PM
3 moms liked this
Don't feel guilty. They will just keep taking advantage of you otherwise.
hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Apr. 22, 2014 at 8:11 PM
1 mom liked this

you did the right thing.  I had neighbors like that, they would even come and ask my dh for cigarettes. 

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 5:35 PM
1 mom liked this

If it was rarely done and you could afford to lend it out it's one thing, but it sounds like your neighbors are taken advantage of your kindness.

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Apr. 26, 2014 at 9:55 PM
2 moms liked this

I agree with this.  Don't feel bad.

Quoting cjs702006:

You did the right thing. If they know they can get free food stuff from you, they will keep coming over until you put your foot down.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)