Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

My 9yo son doesn't like doing "school work" so he plays video games instead

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2014 at 3:20 PM
  • 455 Replies
5 moms liked this

Poll

Question: Do you agree that a child can get a good education by following their own interests?

Options:

I sure do!

To a point.But some things need to be taught even if the child doesn't like it.

No, not at all. You're the parent for a reason.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 835

View Results

After a disaterous start at traditional homeschooling, I discovered unschooling. Gone are the days of forced reading, writing, and topics he couldn't care less about. Since we transitioned so slowly, dh never even knew,lol. Yesterday he got a surpirse when he told ds to stop playing Minecraft and get started on school. 9yo Ds glanced up and said, "But Minecraft is school." 

Dh thought he was joking until I told him it was true. Then he got all huffy and said video games can't possibly be school and how is Ds going to learn anything? With perfect timing, ds yelled out, "Hey look!" "My diamond pick ax has projectile protection four (IV)" Our son was nearly illiterate at the begining of the year and now he's reading words like that. I just smiled at dh and asked, "You were saying?"

It's not just reading that he's learning either...

by on Apr. 22, 2014 at 3:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on Apr. 22, 2014 at 3:21 PM
4 moms liked this

SubjectBenefit
Reading
Book.png
The names of items in the inventory are a great place to start teaching children to read, since each item has a tooltip and image which go together. For older children, reading the wikiand online guides can extend their skills.
Writing
Book and Quill.png
Players can use the Book and Quill within the game to keep a log, or to communicate information to other players. By contributing to the Minecraft Wiki, older children learn to write informational texts in a collaborative, multimedia environment!.
Math
Cobblestone17
+ Cobblestone44
The crafting system can help in teaching basic math (e.g. "I need 3 Sugar Cane for Paper), which transitions to multiplication (I need 3 Paper and 1 Leather for a Book, and 3 Books for a Bookshelf, so I need 9 Paper and 3 Leather altogether") and division ("When I create Paper I get 3 at once, so 9/3 = 3 times per Bookshelf I'll have to create Paper"). If players want to create fully power Beacon, they will need to mathematically calculate amounts of materials(Iron,Diamond,Emerald,Gold) they need to create one, which is 9 times {∑i=1~i=4 (2i+1)2}. This means(9+25+49+81)×9 = 1476 = 23×64+4= 23 stacks and 4 pieces of materials. This shows not only you need math very much in Minecraft, but you also practice and possibly learn some mathematic skills.
Geometry
M10 tesseract.png
While the Minecraft world is only made up of cubes, the creations a child makes may resemble other shapes. Parental involvement can help teach children to recognize these shapes (cube, cuboid, square based pyramid, tesseract, et cetera). Also, counting the number of blocks that were dug out when making a 6x6x3 cave can help multiplication skills and understanding the concepts of volume and area. Also, Minecraft is all about three-dimensional graphing. A Minecraft world is based on xy, and z coordinates. This very useful method of gaming can be used to learn high-leveled math such as the Pythagorean theorem (e.g.: x2+y2=c2) therefore not only is Minecraft used to learn "child-level geometry", it can also be used to learn fairly difficult geometric concepts very easily.
Music
Note Block.png
With the preparation of some Redstone circuitry, experimenting with Note Blocks can teach children about notes, octaves and chords.
Social skills
Mob1.pngMob1.png
By setting up a private server, parents can provide a safe environment for children to interact with friends and make playing Minecraft a cooperative event. Using a Local Area Network (LAN, or "home network") will allow children to play in the same room with their friends. By using Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP, or "voice chat"), a phone call, or the in-game text chat, they can play together wherever they are. Either method allows children to work together to build, explore, and learn as they develop their social skills, especially teamwork. For older children, contributing to the Minecraft Wiki can be a chance to learn about Internet etiquette and collaboration.
Basic Technological Science
Redstone (Dust).png
Redstone circuitry provides an interactive environment to build basic logic circuits and combine them for more

sophisticated purposes. Feedback is immediate, and the mistakes don't destroy expensive electrical components.

Linguistics
Hello! - ¡Hola! - Hallo!
Salut! - Γεια σου! - 您好!
Via the options menu, children can select various languages to use while playing Minecraft. If a child can name an item by sight, there is a higher chance that the child will be able to at least comprehend a few words of a new language.
mysticalmalissa
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 3:28 PM
2 moms liked this

My 6yr plays that on his phone daily and is learning to read because of it.

paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on Apr. 22, 2014 at 3:39 PM

*High five*

Quoting mysticalmalissa:

My 6yr plays that on his phone daily and is learning to read because of it.

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

Noni2319
by Chrissy on Apr. 22, 2014 at 7:05 PM
7 moms liked this

I think they can to an extent. but there are some things that aren't covered that I think they should work on. Cursive writing for one. I know not all schools teach that now, but I think everyone should learn it. And Geography, but there probably is a game for that.

jeda1429
by on Apr. 22, 2014 at 7:08 PM
9 moms liked this

HAHA . My son is autistic and his interests are tornado sirens , trains and hamsters. He unschools himself on these topics all the time.  But if I left it to him that would be the only topics he learned anything about.

paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on Apr. 22, 2014 at 7:16 PM

I'm teaching 7yo dd cursive (she asked to learn after seeing me write) but ds has Zero intrest in learning. If I tried to make him it would be a disaster and he still wouldn't learn. As for geography, if there's a reason to learn it he'll pick it up.

For instance, he was watching a science video that mentioned the savannahs of Africa. (His sister's name) He was interested and wanted to know where that was. So we looked at the map and I showed him. From there we looked up Georgia (Savanna Georgia) and he was happy. Every thing that needs to be learned will be learned in time.

Quoting Noni2319:

I think they can to an extent. but there are some things that aren't covered that I think they should work on. Cursive writing for one. I know not all schools teach that now, but I think everyone should learn it. And Geography, but there probably is a game for that.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on Apr. 22, 2014 at 7:18 PM

Ds's on the spectrum too :-)

No, I don't think that would be the Only thing. You'd be surprised how much reading, writing, science, math and history you can fit in there. Then one interest will lead to another and the rest is history! lol

Quoting jeda1429:

HAHA . My son is autistic and his interests are tornado sirens , trains and hamsters. He unschools himself on these topics all the time.  But if I left it to him that would be the only topics he learned anything about.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Apr. 22, 2014 at 7:38 PM

I don't really know either way.  I know we all are learning just by playing games, watching tv, etc..  heck right now my 5 year old and I are watching prehistoric mosasaur.  :)

Thelmama
by Thelma on Apr. 22, 2014 at 7:56 PM
4 moms liked this

Kids learn through play. It is the best way they can learn.  I like that my kids enjoy school but I also like that they learn through play. I did homeschool preK with my youngest. The other two had regular preK. My youngest learned as much or more with me teaching her through play as the other two did. She scored high in the K entrance exams, just like her siblings did. Kids love to play and reading, math, algebraic thinking and much  more can be learned through play.

Thelmama
by Thelma on Apr. 22, 2014 at 7:57 PM

My kids love the Myth busters and have learned a lot from that show.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)