Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Mom's Gross Discovery in Son's Juice Box Might Make You Ban Them for Good (PHOTO)

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 5:48 PM
  • 10 Replies

Got juice boxes? If you're a mom, you probably have at least half a dozen in your fridge right now, but this might make you switch to cups of the sweet stuff. A mom from Wisconsin who cut open her son's juice box found a whole lot of mold! Enough to take up half of the box!

Suzanne Hogue's disgusting discovery has quickly gone viral, with photos of little Nathan's moldy juice box being spread across the Internet. If you've got a weak stomach, you may want to look away right about now ...

moldy juice box

At the risk of sounding like we're all 5 years old, we're just going to go ahead and say it ... ewwwww! That's apparently frozen mold -- Suzanne Hogue has been storing this in the freezer since she cut it open and was grossed out herself.

We've heard of juice pouches -- those vaguely triangular packages of juice -- containing fungus, but now we have to worry about icky juice BOXES too?

So do we need to stop giving our kids juice boxes?

Tempting ... awfully tempting.

But no, you don't have to give up juice boxes.

You can always cut open the boxes -- just as Hogue did -- if you're worried. Granted that defeats the purpose of buying juice boxes for convenience, but you can also simply taste the drink yourself (or sniff it) to see if it raises any alarm bells.

Parents should also be wary to use up drinks before the expiration date, and check for any holes or damage to the packaging that may allow air or contaminants into the drink (just as they would with any other food item).

When The Stir contacted the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), they had received no official report of the Hogues' moldy juice box, but Press Officer Lauren Sucher said parents shouldn't hesitate to reach out to the FDA if they find a problem with their child's drink.

"Manufacturers are responsible for ensuring their products are safe to eat, properly labeled, and in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations," she noted. "Consumers should report product concerns to the manufacturer and to an FDA consumer complaint coordinator."

Got it? If you see something, say something! Kudos to this mom for bringing this one out into the light. Check out more on the Hogues' gross discovery:

Does this change your mind about letting your kids have juice boxes? What do they normally drink?

by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 5:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Noni2319
by Chrissy on Apr. 30, 2014 at 5:58 PM
Ewww! I'm glad we don't get them.
hayliedlr
by JoAnna on Apr. 30, 2014 at 6:11 PM

yeah, me too.

Quoting Noni2319: Ewww! I'm glad we don't get them.

LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Apr. 30, 2014 at 7:48 PM
Nasty!
Momofmenagerie
by Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 8:11 PM
We do used them . My son still thinks it 'a more fun to squeeze the box and himself and the car seat / table/floor wet and sticky :-) tuck away straw cups are much less fun to mess with in the car, all it does is let him drink. He would say " bummer " though :-)
143myboys9496
by Suzzanne on Apr. 30, 2014 at 8:27 PM

That's disgusting. 

Bmama1
by Bernadette on Apr. 30, 2014 at 8:58 PM
Wtf gross!

We buy jugs of juice. My kids drink it watered down in a cup.
cjsmom1
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2014 at 12:53 AM

That's disgusting

cybcm
by Member on May. 1, 2014 at 5:06 AM

How old was that juice box before she froze it? If it was within date then eww, if it's something silly like one that is a year past date, then duh.

HIJKLM
by Member on May. 1, 2014 at 5:12 AM
I was so scared to open this post but felt like this was info I needed to know... I can't help but wonder if this was past it's expiration date though. Still makes you worry. If it wasn't too old it might still have mold, just not as much... I wonder if this is why Capri sun now has a clear bottom
mysticalmalissa
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2014 at 6:48 AM

EWW!! Thats gross.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN