michelle knight

Michelle Knight has been to hell and back. Who could forget the news that she and two other women were rescued from a Cleveland house of horrors where they were raped and tortured? How do you move past something like that? Knight is certainly trying, in part, by changing her name. Her new moniker?

Lily -- picked for her favorite flower.

We can only imagine how hard it's been for her to forge a new life. Just 21 when she was kidnapped in 2002, she is ready to start anew, outside the shadow of her horrid past. “Everything in the house was unexplainable,” Knight told People magazine. “It happened. I don’t know the reasons why.”

It seems as though she wants to make a clean break with her past. She has little contact with the other survivors, Amanda Berry and Gina DeJesus, and lives in her own apartment in Cleveland. She is even taking cooking classes and adapting to a much different world than she last remembered.

“I don’t take things for granted anymore,” she told People. “Not even the little things like looking out a window. I went through years of torture, and now I’m back. I’m free to fly.”

With the anniversary of their escape approaching, her memoir Finding Me is soon to be published. When the story first broke, there were reports of how Ariel Castro chained her to a pole, raped her, impregnated her five times, and beat her so she would miscarry. Just horrifying. It must have been a very hard story to recount yet again for her book. But perhaps that has helped her heal too. She was forced into silence for so long, she finally has a voice.

Are you surprised that Knight is changing her name?