Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Should Satan have a place next to the 10 Commandments on government grounds? *Pics*

Posted by on May. 8, 2014 at 12:21 PM
  • 248 Replies

Poll

Question: How do you feel about this statue being placed next to the 10 Commandments?

Options:

I don't think either statue should be there.

I don't mind the 10 Commandments but Satan has no place on Government property.

I like the Satan statue but the 10 Commandments shouldn't be there.

I don't have an issue with either of them.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 379

View Results

Baphmetcomp.JPG

PHOTO: A Ten Commandments monument erected outside the Oklahoma state Capitol is shown, Nov. 16, 2012.

The Prince of Darkness won't see the light of day in Oklahoma, if lawmakers have their way.

A satanic group commissioned a statue of the devil, raising money to pay a sculptor who it won't identify, as a way of protesting the Sooner State's placement of a Ten Commandments monument on the Statehouse lawn in Oklahoma City. The statue, being sculpted in a New York studio, is nearly complete, according to Lucien Greaves, spokesman for the Satanic Temple.

“We’re really coming along fast,” said Greaves, whose group claims to have raised more than $20,000 for the project through an online crowd-funding site.

"There will never be a satanic monument on the grounds of the Oklahoma State Capitol and the suggestion that there might be is absurd."

- Alex Weintz, spokesman for Gov. Mary Fallin

The statue of the Baphomet, or Sabbatic Goat, a figure that has been used to represent Satan for centuries, is to be made of bronze, poured over a clay mold. Images provided to FoxNews.com show the hideous figure on a throne, with smiling children at each knee. Greaves' organization seeks to force Oklahoma to allow placement of their statue or demonstrate what it considers an unconstitutional double standard.

Oklahoma officials say there is no way in hell that a statue of Satan will ever assume a position at the Capitol.

"There will never be a satanic monument on the grounds of the Oklahoma State Capitol and the suggestion that there might be is absurd," Alex Weintz, spokesman for Gov. Mary Fallin, said in a statement to FoxNews.com.

Pictures of the partially-completed monument were first posted on Vice.

The Satanic Temple hatched the plan last December after the Ten Commandments monument, presented as a gift from state Rep. Mike Ritze, was placed on the lawn. Because it was a donation, state officials declared that it was permissible to place it on state property. But that prompted Greaves and the Satanic Temple to say they could do the same with a monument of their own.

“When we reach out to them and told them of our intentions, the response we got was asking for the design sketches but we never heard back from them," Greaves said. "As soon as we are ready, we will reach back out to them.”

The Oklahoma chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union sued Oklahoma over the Ten Commandments monument, and the state has placed a moratorium on issuing permits for any other monuments.

“We don’t think the state should place religious artifacts on state property unless the people of the entire state agree with its message,” Brady Henderson, legal director of the Oklahoma ACLU, told FoxNews.com. “One of the concerns is that even if you allow all faiths to place something in a public area, it quickly becomes a farce.”

Henderson cited an incident at the Florida State House, in which the local government decided to allow all faiths to place holiday decorations in the Statehouse rotunda next to a manger scene.

“What happened is that you had someone placing a festivus pole made out of beer cans and one group placing a pile of spaghetti on top of a chair,” he said. “So these types of things do nothing to uplift people’s faiths and beliefs. There’s nothing served by belittling them.”

by on May. 8, 2014 at 12:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nonyobizniz
by on May. 8, 2014 at 1:52 PM
23 moms liked this

politics and religion should NEVER mix.

political decisions should be reflective of LOGIC and common sense mixed in with what is best for the people as a whole, religious beliefs should never affect ones political decisions, as not all of the subjects you govern share those beliefs.

we have religious freedoms, isnt that enough?

-42-
by Member on May. 8, 2014 at 1:55 PM
24 moms liked this
What's good for the goose is good for the gander, right? Why can one have a monument and tell the other 'no'?

I do think that religion and politics should not mix....but if you are going to be ok with one, you have to be ok with all..
hayliedlr
by JoAnna on May. 8, 2014 at 3:48 PM
4 moms liked this

I may not like it but if it's good for one than it is for the other.

paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on May. 8, 2014 at 5:49 PM

Amen!

Quoting nonyobizniz:

political decisions should be reflective of LOGIC and common sense mixed in with what is best for the people as a whole, religious beliefs should never affect ones political decisions, as not all of the subjects you govern share those beliefs.

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on May. 8, 2014 at 5:49 PM

That's my stance too.

Quoting -42-: What's good for the goose is good for the gander, right? Why can one have a monument and tell the other 'no'? I do think that religion and politics should not mix....but if you are going to be ok with one, you have to be ok with all..

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

wolfybaby
by New Member on May. 8, 2014 at 6:21 PM
7 moms liked this

there has been a separation of the church and state. 

so if the government is going to allow religion on its property, that better be *all* religions. otherwise that is discrimination. 

all or none. thats only fair.

143myboys9496
by Suzzanne on May. 8, 2014 at 9:18 PM

I have to agree with this. Church and state were separated years ago..those things probably should have been removed then. 

Quoting nonyobizniz:

paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on May. 9, 2014 at 1:11 AM

The 10 commandments was only put in 2 years ago.

Quoting 143myboys9496:

I have to agree with this. Church and state were separated years ago..those things probably should have been removed then. 

Quoting nonyobizniz:

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

143myboys9496
by Suzzanne on May. 9, 2014 at 4:40 AM

That I didn't know, I realize the 10 commandments are a religious expression of treating others(well except for the one about 'no false Gods'..and I guess 'keep the sabbath holy')...

I mean I think the ones about treating others nicely and not killing..etc, are well. kind of a needed reminder, as a society IMO, we've (in general) forgotten about The Golden Rule. 

Even still, they shouldn't be there. 

Quoting paganbaby:

The 10 commandments was only put in 2 years ago.

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Quoting nonyobizniz:

mysticalmalissa
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2014 at 8:13 AM
6 moms liked this

Neither one should be there.

If they are going to allow one, they should allow the other.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)