Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Imagine if Muslims tried to make all women wear headscarves...

Posted by on May. 8, 2014 at 5:36 PM
  • 54 Replies
8 moms liked this

Imagine if Muslims tried to make all women wear headscarves, ban alcohol and fast for a month out of the years, or if all Jewish people tried to ban pork/bacon/ham? You'd be outraged! How could they step on my rights as an American to eat what I want, and dress how I want?! You'd rally in the streets to kick them out of the country. Riots would erupt at the notion of you not being allowed to eat chocolate covered bacon whenever you wanted.

Now, think about how Christianity wants to ban gay marriage, teach Creationism/Intelligent design, put prayer in public schools, criminalize abortion. People, in the general sense, don't bat an eyelash at this, because most Americans are Christians. It's the ruling majority. We base political decisions off of a candidate's stances on faith based matters. We spew words "freedom" and "equality" only when it's convenient for us.

by on May. 8, 2014 at 5:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
143myboys9496
by Suzzanne on May. 8, 2014 at 9:25 PM

I don't think we should try to enforce beliefs on others...but people need to remember that gov't needs to do what's best for the majority. 

Again, church and state were separated years ago. If you want your child to pray in school, IMO, send them to a parochial school. Or how about this: be happy that you have the FREEDOM to pray the way you choose in home or at the church you choose to attend.

JTROX
by Member on May. 8, 2014 at 9:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Allowing others to pray in school isn't forcing another to pray in school.

hayliedlr
by JoAnna on May. 8, 2014 at 10:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm a Christian and I don't force nothing on no one.  Hopefully one day everyone can see the error of their ways.  I think if someone in a school setting wants to pray may it be to God, Buddah, Holy spaghetti monkey they should be allowed to.

My cousin was banned from putting a cross up in her locker at school and praying to herself before a meal at lunch and she got detention, suspension later for not stopping.  America is not just for one religion.

If she wants to pray to herself so be it, why should she be banned for doing so?  since ya know we are the land of the free and all.

Sucks that the government still tries to set forth the religion to ban gay marriages.  It WILL happen in all states.  Give it time.  After all inter racial couples were illegal not so long ago.

paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on May. 9, 2014 at 12:54 AM

This is true. And as long as everyone has the same rights, I'm good.

Quoting 143myboys9496:

I don't think we should try to enforce beliefs on others...but people need to remember that gov't needs to do what's best for the majority. 

Again, church and state were separated years ago. If you want your child to pray in school, IMO, send them to a parochial school. Or how about this: be happy that you have the FREEDOM to pray the way you choose in home or at the church you choose to attend.

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on May. 9, 2014 at 12:55 AM
1 mom liked this

The problem is when the prayer is lead by or initiated by teachers or faculty.

Quoting JTROX:

Allowing others to pray in school isn't forcing another to pray in school.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on May. 9, 2014 at 12:56 AM

That is awful! But I have a question. How did anyone know she was even praying and who ratted her out about her locker?

Quoting hayliedlr:

I'm a Christian and I don't force nothing on no one.  Hopefully one day everyone can see the error of their ways.  I think if someone in a school setting wants to pray may it be to God, Buddah, Holy spaghetti monkey they should be allowed to.

My cousin was banned from putting a cross up in her locker at school and praying to herself before a meal at lunch and she got detention, suspension later for not stopping.  America is not just for one religion.

If she wants to pray to herself so be it, why should she be banned for doing so?  since ya know we are the land of the free and all.

Sucks that the government still tries to set forth the religion to ban gay marriages.  It WILL happen in all states.  Give it time.  After all inter racial couples were illegal not so long ago.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

GirlWithANikon
by Member on May. 9, 2014 at 1:01 AM
3 moms liked this

Been saying this for years, the christians aren't listening. Too many are power hungry, unaccepting, bigots. Whoa is us.

paganbaby
by Chesty La Rue on May. 9, 2014 at 1:06 AM

That may be so but times are slowly changing. Drip by drip baby.

Quoting GirlWithANikon:

Been saying this for years, the christians aren't listening. Too many are power hungry, unaccepting, bigots. Whoa is us.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

GirlWithANikon
by Member on May. 9, 2014 at 1:12 AM
3 moms liked this

I do see it, a little. I often feel like with each win in one area we are set back by leaps in another. Its like sometimes they just throw us bottom wins to shut us up and make us feel like we are getting some place. Guess time will tell though, and I sure hope so!

I want the christians to be able to do what makes their heart full. I just also want to be able to do what fills mine.

Quoting paganbaby:

That may be so but times are slowly changing. Drip by drip baby.

Quoting GirlWithANikon:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN