Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Charged with dui and I wasn't drunk

Posted by on May. 31, 2014 at 7:09 PM
  • 27 Replies

Victim Arrested After Sheriff's Deputy Crashes Into Her

County took months to clear her name

|  By:

A woman in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, was arrested for drunk driving after being T-boned by a police officer. The only problem? She was sober and not at fault for the accident.

Deputy Sheriff Joseph Quiles hit Tanya Weyker's car while on patrol around General Mitchell International Airport on February 20th, 2013, KTLA reported. The crash broke her neck in four places, leaving her unable to blow into a Breathalyzer or take a field sobriety test.

Deputy Quiles said in the accident report that he made a full stop at the stop signed and looked each way before proceeding and did not see Weyker's headlights, but security cameras caught Deputy Quiles rolling through the stop sign before hitting Weyker's Camry. Deputy Quiles also said he smelled alcohol on Weyker's breath and that her eyes were red and glassy.

"I explained to him my eyes were red and glassy because I was crying," Weyker told KTLA.

She was placed under arrest for drunk driving while in traction at the hospital, though there was no evidence alcohol was a factor. The county threatened Weyker with prosecution if she didn't pay for damages in the crash, even though the Sheriff Department knew Deputy Quiles was at fault two days afterward. Five months later, blood tests show she was sober at the crash, but it took another five months for prosecutors to drop the charges against her. She's still waiting for the county to help with her medical bills, which may reach $1 million. Weyker also filed a complaint against the deputy that arrested her, WTKR reports.

As for Deputy Quiles, he was suspended for nine days for breaking a traffic law, but was never punished for his incorrect statements in the incident report. He has not worked in the year proceeding the accident, has exhausted his injury pay, and has his retirement application up for review, despite being released from the hospital after the crash after treatment for minor injuries.

by on May. 31, 2014 at 7:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cjsmom1
by Silver Member on May. 31, 2014 at 7:11 PM
4 moms liked this

It's ridiculous that the city took so long to clear her name. After they realized the cop was at fault and there was no alcohol in her system all charges should have been dropped.

As for the cop he should be charged with falsifying documents and lying on a police report. The same way any citizen would have been charged.

mamasheart2012
by Donna on May. 31, 2014 at 7:26 PM
Couldnt have put it any better. Absolutly crazy. Just goes to show cops will try to protect each other at all costs. Sad really. They are supposed to serve and protect us the civilian not each other

Quoting cjsmom1:

It's ridiculous that the city took so long to clear her name. After they realized the cop was at fault and there was no alcohol in her system all charges should have been dropped.

As for the cop he should be charged with falsifying documents and lying on a police report. The same way any citizen would have been charged.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsmom1
by Silver Member on May. 31, 2014 at 7:36 PM

I don't think it was the cops though. It sounds like they investigated a little further because the stories weren't adding up.Imo the prosecuter dropped the ball here and didn't properly do their job.

Quoting mamasheart2012: Couldnt have put it any better. Absolutly crazy. Just goes to show cops will try to protect each other at all costs. Sad really. They are supposed to serve and protect us the civilian not each other
Quoting cjsmom1:

Angelslight23
by New Member on May. 31, 2014 at 8:28 PM
1 mom liked this

That is unfair, and unjust. She should sew him directly and have him pay for all her medicals bills, plus pain and suffering. He never should of been in the street.

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on May. 31, 2014 at 8:46 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree

Quoting Angelslight23:

That is unfair, and unjust. She should sew him directly and have him pay for all her medicals bills, plus pain and suffering. He never should of been in the street.

LEC22
by New Member on May. 31, 2014 at 9:56 PM
Is this for real! That is the most absurd thing I have ever heard. I can't imagine being put in that position the stress and anger she must feel.
LEC22
by New Member on May. 31, 2014 at 9:57 PM
1 mom liked this
Agreed he should have to take care of the mess he made.

Quoting cjsmom1: I agree

Quoting Angelslight23:

Night_Roane
by Member on May. 31, 2014 at 10:01 PM
I was the victim of an insurance scam involving a cop. When it went to court, the judge ruled in his favor just because of his job title.
143myboys9496
by Suzzanne on May. 31, 2014 at 11:38 PM
2 moms liked this

My dh bought his 1st truck from a cop in the town he lived in at the time. The cop switched engines, replacing the new one with the old one. After dropping over $2000 to fix his truck, he also got a statement from the mechanic. He took the cop to court. Thankfully the judge did the right thing. He found in favor of dh, after though, reading the cop the riot act. Dh says the judge reamed the cop a new one, which was really nice to watch. 

This girl should sue, not only the cop, but the town and prosecutor for wrongful arrest, prosecution, and punitive damages.

And people wonder why respect for cops is swirling in the toilet.

Noni2319
by Chrissy on May. 31, 2014 at 11:53 PM
2 moms liked this
It is ridiculous. She should sue them.

Quoting cjsmom1:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN