Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Taliban-held U.S. soldier released in exchange for Afghan detainees...

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 6:02 AM
  • 26 Replies
 June 1 at 9:48 AM

Taliban fighters released the sole remaining American military hostage Saturday morning to a team of U.S. troops in eastern Afghanistan, who quickly hustled him onto a helicopter. Once airborne, Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl scribbled the letters “SF?” on a paper plate, seeking confirmation that he was with Special Operations forces.

“Yes!” one of the troops hollered back above the din of the aircraft’s blades, according to a defense official who described Bergdahl’s first moments of freedom. “We’ve been looking for you for a long time.”

Bergdahl, 28, who had been held captive nearly five years, broke down in tears.

His release was secured after the Obama administration, working through Qatari government intermediaries, agreed to free five high-profile Afghan inmates held by the U.S. military in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. The influential commanders, including the former head of the Taliban’s army, were loaded onto a U.S. military aircraft bound for Qatar after U.S. officials got confirmation that Bergdahl had been freed.

Bergdahl’s “safety and health were both in jeopardy,” and officials had to act quickly to obtain his release, Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said Sunday, according to the Associated Press.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/taliban-held-us-soldier-released-in-exchange-for-afghan-detainees/2014/05/31/8b764dac-e8db-11e3-a86b-362fd5443d19_story.html

by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 6:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mysticalmalissa
by Silver Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 6:06 AM
1 mom liked this

All I know is our country is so screwed!

I honestly never thought I would see the day the USA would negotiate with terrorists.

bhow
by Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 7:53 AM

I'm not saying in any way shape or form that this man is not worth the exchange because we all are but, why did we give back 5 for 1?  As far as I'm concerned WE should have received 5 for 1, these scum bags are terrorists!!  Our Government is a mess, it's turning us into coward's trying to look like the good guys all the time.  Other countries laugh at us and do what ever they please right in our faces.  I'm glad he's coming home but, these people going back over there will just turn around and kill more American's for reataliation of being held here.

mysticalmalissa
by Silver Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 9:33 AM

I agree.

Quoting bhow:

I'm not saying in any way shape or form that this man is not worth the exchange because we all are but, why did we give back 5 for 1?  As far as I'm concerned WE should have received 5 for 1, these scum bags are terrorists!!  Our Government is a mess, it's turning us into coward's trying to look like the good guys all the time.  Other countries laugh at us and do what ever they please right in our faces.  I'm glad he's coming home but, these people going back over there will just turn around and kill more American's for reataliation of being held here.

143myboys9496
by Suzzanne on Jun. 2, 2014 at 11:08 AM

IMO, 1 soldier isn't worth 5 GITMO detainees. Obama has set a terrible precedence. You negotiate for 1 soldier, you do it for ALL soldiers. Where does the line get drawn in the sand? What solidier, what detainees does he say 'no more' to? How does that get explained to the family? He's put a target and price on every soldier and American's back. 

Not to omit, he bypassed congress...yet again.

Quoting bhow:

Noni2319
by Chrissy on Jun. 2, 2014 at 8:10 PM

I'm curious why they did it. Also why did he just walk off post years ago? 

bhow
by Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 9:17 PM

Yep, agreed.  I said before he was elected the first time, that man could cause us a huge amount of problems and will do want he damn well pleases.  Sure wish I was wrong.

Quoting 143myboys9496:

IMO, 1 soldier isn't worth 5 GITMO detainees. Obama has set a terrible precedence. You negotiate for 1 soldier, you do it for ALL soldiers. Where does the line get drawn in the sand? What solidier, what detainees does he say 'no more' to? How does that get explained to the family? He's put a target and price on every soldier and American's back. 

Quoting bhow:

How2Be

virginiamama71
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 9:59 PM

we never get the whole story.

Quoting Noni2319:

I'm curious why they did it. Also why did he just walk off post years ago? 

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 2:59 AM

I'm hoping we get this answer. The reports have said he was drunk, was using the bathroom, or that he just left because he didn't agree with what the US was doing there.

Quoting AllieHolmes:

He walked away from the base, and the 6 soldiers sent out to look for him were killed. IMO it was a set up. 

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 3:00 AM

This is the problem. We let 5 terrorists go to get back one soldier. As a parent I understand wanting to bring this man home to his parents, but I can't help but wonder if it's worth it. Plus like you said it puts a huge target on every soldiers back.

Quoting 143myboys9496:

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 3:01 AM

I agree. How is 5 terrorists for 1 soldier fair? Where does that math even make sense?

Quoting bhow:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)