Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lounge The Lounge

Should there be an age requirement?

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 11:46 AM
Amy
  • 130 Replies

I was just reading about a 10 year old who just received his high school diploma and that got me to thinking.... we have an age requirement for kids starting school, should there be an age requirement for graduation?  For example, should kids under 15 be able to graduate from high school?

What do you think?

by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 11:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
143myboys9496
by Suzzanne on Jun. 12, 2014 at 12:30 PM
2 moms liked this

It's hard, because while at 10 the child has the intelligence to do high school work, he/she doesn't have the maturity, but they need to be challenged.

That's a tough one...

Noni2319
by Chrissy on Jun. 12, 2014 at 12:35 PM
It's a tough one.
Thelmama
by Thelma on Jun. 12, 2014 at 1:05 PM
5 moms liked this

Not if they have earned it. I just don't get what the kid is going to do once he gets done. No one is going to hire a 10 year old and he can't stay on a college campus if he goes to college. I see a lot of down sides to graduating so early.

RutterMama
by Tia on Jun. 12, 2014 at 1:59 PM

I agree 100%. I honestly think there SHOULD be an age requirement. At least 16 - emencipation age. 

Quoting 143myboys9496:

It's hard, because while at 10 the child has the intelligence to do high school work, he/she doesn't have the maturity, but they need to be challenged.

That's a tough one...

amonkeymom
by Amy on Jun. 12, 2014 at 2:09 PM

See, that's what I was thinking.  I mean, it's great that he's so smart, but how does he relate to other kids his age?  Not to mention being able to work before he's 16, etc.

I also think there should be an age requirement.

Quoting RutterMama:

I agree 100%. I honestly think there SHOULD be an age requirement. At least 16 - emencipation age. 

Quoting 143myboys9496:

That's a tough one...

Nimue930
by Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 2:21 PM
25 moms liked this

There's a part of me that understands letting them finish the requirements and graduate early... A kid smart enough to graduate at age 10 is not going to get along with his peers (most likely) so holding him back will just lengthen the torment of being an odd guy out all the time.  Let him (or her) graduate, and take college courses online or take courses from a kajor university but not live on campus, until he is old enough for college on campus.  He might be far more educated at that point (than his peers) but they'll all be 18-19 by then, and he can blend in with the upper graduates, who are too busy with their own schedules to care about the brainy kid next to them, and have hopefully outgrown the bullying stage.  I know a kid who had 3 PhD's by the time he was 24.  He thrived on gaining knowledge.  Is it really fair to hold him back from that???

Quoting amonkeymom:

See, that's what I was thinking.  I mean, it's great that he's so smart, but how does he relate to other kids his age?  Not to mention being able to work before he's 16, etc.

I also think there should be an age requirement.

Quoting RutterMama:

Quoting 143myboys9496:

That's a tough one...

mysticalmalissa
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 10:18 PM
3 moms liked this

No, I dont see the need for that.

I dont think this is really an issue that will happen often.

There are more important things that could be focused on.

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 12:41 AM
8 moms liked this

I don't think there should be an age requirement. If he is able to do the work then let him. Someone that intelligent most likely doesn't get along with his peers due to completely different interests. I'm sure his parents will find something for him to do over the next few years to help ensure he isn't bored. Children that are this smart often crave knowledge so I'm sure he'll continue to learn.

LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Jun. 13, 2014 at 10:21 AM
I'm not sure there should be an age requirement, since, who knows how long until this happens again. But what is he going to do now? No one is going to hire a 10 year-old
kit_manson
by Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 11:34 AM
17 moms liked this
Absolutely not. An exceptional child that isn't challenged is a huge problem. They need the advanced work. Without it, they can become destructive- either inwardly or outwardly. Besides, what do you suggest he fill those years with? Sitting at home and twiddling his thumbs?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)